Talk

Advanced search

4 year old doesn't play alone...

(4 Posts)
mousymouse Tue 04-Jan-11 09:06:05

our ds seems to be lazy. if we would let him, he would sit in front of the computer or tv all day long (we limit it to 1 hour a day).
he has plenty of toys but would only play with them when we are with him, never on his own. even when we start playing with him and then go on to do things around the house he stops playing and just sits around saying he is bored.
I hope this is just a phase.

he sleeps 12 hours each night, eats a varied diet (not a lot though), goes outside at least one hour a day. he's generally healty.

WannabeNigella Tue 04-Jan-11 09:49:05

Really not sure what to recommend on this as it's not a problem I have had.

Have you tried taking him to Toys r Us or similar and saying he can choose a toy that he really likes and somehow wording that it is for him to play with when you are busy doing jobs? Then maybe once he has learnt to do it with that toy he will expand to others?

What does he do if you aren't playing with him and he's not watching tele?

mousymouse Tue 04-Jan-11 09:52:49

if I don't play with him he just sits around doing nothing...
he likes his toys and likes to play with them, just not on his own.
in preschool he plays with the other children but it is usually initiated by the others as well.

WannabeNigella Tue 04-Jan-11 10:08:17

Just found this online -

"It's ok for you to require that your daughter stay in one specific area (like a play room or her bedroom) while you are doing your work. She may never be the type of kids that pretends. This is no big deal but she has to learn boundries and limits. I went thru this with my own son. We would give him books, toys etc and set a timer...at first something short..like 5 or 10 minutes. We requested that he stay in the play room and play until the time went off. If he came out we put him back and reset the timer. If he yelled or cried..we would comfort him but we would reset the timer. It took a little work but with patience he learned the stay where we put him. Then finally he started to play by himself. One bonus...he learned to tell time by the age of 4."

Maybe a bit too harsh but the timer thing might be an idea??

A few other bits here

Playing Alone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now