Talk

Advanced search

Biting- normal development???

(4 Posts)
sparkleshine Sun 02-Jan-11 19:50:42

My 12 month old DS has just started biting us occasionally. Not sure if this is part of normal development or another form of teething.

He did get a small bite from another baby at nursery a few weeks ago which is making me think this is 'normal'.
I can't understand where it comes from as obviously we don't go around biting everyone so seems strange behaviour.

Obviously we discourage him and tell him 'no' etc when it happens.

He's also into everything and I don't like to say annoying but that's what it is sometimes. Gets so frustrating repeating myself all the time.

Do they understand the word 'no' and 'don't do that' at this age? It's just he doesn't listen.

Sorry I sound clueless don't I

faverolles Sun 02-Jan-11 20:50:49

Dd went through a biting stage at that age.
She used to walk or cruise to me and bite me on the legs.
The thing that worked best with her was to move her away as soon as it happened and not acknowledge it at all.

TheSugarPlumFairy Sun 02-Jan-11 23:10:13

DD (8.5 months) has been biting as well. I think it was really just overenthusiastic affection as it only seemed to happen when we were having a playful cuddle.

We have been stopping the cuddle immediately and putting her down and saying firmly "No, we do not bite" and leave her for about 30 sec. Though she doesn't understand the words she does sense the rejection and it does seem to be working. She hasn't bitten for the last 3-4 days.

sparkleshine Tue 04-Jan-11 22:18:11

Thanks ladies, I guess we will have to wait for him to grow out if it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now