Talk

Advanced search

Book 'how to talk so your children will listen and listen so your children will talk' - advice needed

(4 Posts)
twinterror Fri 31-Dec-10 19:00:15

Hi, I have just bought this book and started to practice some of the skills. If you are already accomplished at the techniques can you advise me on this scenario that happened today: in b&q have to get some floor tiles, straight away 2dcs are running away, pushing/pulling eachother/shouting etc (I had told them before we went in of the behaviour I expected.) I tried to describe the problem 'I see dangerous behaviour that could have xx effect' etc - they just ignored it. what are the next steps for a child who is ignoring you?

appreciate your help - I bought the book as I saw a post by a lady who said that the skills learned helped her get 3 children inc one in a buggy christmas shopping in the snow.
It does look really good but is cleary going to take some practice and effort - not sure today's scenario is covered though.

thanks

cruelladepoppins Fri 31-Dec-10 19:39:28

How old are your dcs?

melpomene Fri 31-Dec-10 19:46:44

I seem to remember there is a cartoon in the book showing a child misbehaving in a supermarket. One of the suggestions is making the child sit in the trolley, but obviously that only works if they're pretty small. Another suggestion given is not taking the children next time you go shopping, but that's assuming you have someone else to mind them. Sorrry if not much help.!

sinpan Fri 31-Dec-10 20:07:04

Op what exactly did you say? Reason I ask is I've always found the more assertive (not aggressive) I am the more likely I am to get the response I want but it's surprisingly hard to get it right especially when already frazzled.

I've not read the book but got a lot of use from the teenage version (how to talk so teenagers will etc), which I imagine is more or less the same, basic NLP stuff but very useful reminder of how to communicate in charged situations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: