Talk

Advanced search

6yo is 7th centile

(12 Posts)
PippiL Thu 23-Dec-10 17:17:18

She was low birthweight due to pre-eclampisa at 5lbs 3oz. Think she got up to about 25th centile in her first year.

Haven't been to bothered about checking since then tbh! She seems healthy and is lean and lithe.

Just weighed her at 3st 1 - 120cms tall.

Looks like she is within the healthy weight range just about.

What do I need to do? Ignore it and keep on as normal? Ask HV (:-P)? See doctor?

LynetteScavo Thu 23-Dec-10 17:27:36

What are other members of the family like? If you are all hefty, then I would go to GP/HV.

If it's normal for your family, then I wouldn't be concerned.

PippiL Thu 23-Dec-10 18:45:18

Mmm, we are not massive, but on the sturdy side :-)

Her brother is probably pretty average I would say.

I wouldn't say it is normal for our family.

LynetteScavo Thu 23-Dec-10 18:57:35

Isn't she above average for height? hmm

PippiL Thu 23-Dec-10 19:38:19

Dunno, I haven't looked it up but I wouldn't have said so looking at her in her gym class line up.

She is 7 in april.

belgo Thu 23-Dec-10 19:40:33

I think you have answered your own question with your comment about her being healthy, lean and lithe. It;s just the way she is made. Someone has to be on the 7th percentiles!

PippiL Thu 23-Dec-10 19:49:55

Thanks, just looking for a bit of reassurance.

Cheers.

onanightlikethis Thu 23-Dec-10 19:56:56

my ds is 7 in april, was born at term, 8lbs, he wears size 4-5 clothes, hes short but sturdy...i would gues he is about 110cm tall. i'm 5'2, husband 5'11. ds2 is same height aged 5. some kids are different builds.

SkyBluePearl Thu 23-Dec-10 20:23:39

I wouldn't worry if she seems healthy. My son is under the 0.4 percentile and he is all there mentally and physically. He eats anything and eats lots.

Tgger Thu 23-Dec-10 22:20:36

Hello,
If she's got energy and is healthy I wouldn't worry. I would only have a concern if she was pale and lacking in energy, had frequent viral infections etc etc.

As a contrast my son is 110cm, 4 years old and 3 stone, but he's a BIG MAN, the opposite end of the charts.

My daughter is 2, about 85cm and about 25 pounds, average to diddy smile.

They're all different. I remember my son's 1 year old being weighed at hospital (for drugs for croup I think) and he weighed 14 Kg which was exactly the same weight as the 4 year old girl who was weighed after him. Both within normal range smile, just opposite ends.

LittlePushka Thu 23-Dec-10 23:06:26

hello there! Herewith desired reassurance...!

My DS1 was born a bouncing 8lb 7 oz but thereafter rapidly dropped to below 10th centile. He has never been above 10th centile since and on occasion early on dropped below 2nd. He was referred to hospital at about 12 mths old whilst about 7th centile as routine and was "signed off" as normal a year later, still on the same centile. He is now almost 4.6 yrs, and eats well at every meal time (like a horse often). if he is offered a snack or even sweets, if he is not hungry he just says, not hungry thanks. He is teeny compared to his friends,...very light and never ever had any fat on him even as a baby. I used to worry to begin with as he was my first, but after the peadiatrician said he was a fine little fella. And I at last felt, well this is him. smile

I am much more concerned about his little brother who is a little chunk and who loves his grub...he would eat till he fell over if left to self regulate.

So, I think I am just agreeing with some of the points above - they all differ. It is no bad thing to be on the lean side I think. As a a plump child I suffered at school and have always been a stone or two too heavy all my life. My sister was a skinny little kid and has remained a healthy trim size .

I'd say don't worry, be happygrin

PippiL Thu 23-Dec-10 23:20:38

Thanks everyone grin

Maybe I am just surprised that I could have a child of mine that is not slightly to moderately overweight like myself.

Food does not seem to interest her and we have long drawn out dinners trying to get her to eat a decent balanced dinner - stuff she actually can eat perfectly well. Vegetables are her enemy.
She would eat chocolate and sweets all day long if she could.

I should probably just accept that she will eat when hungry, and the vegetables may come in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now