Talk

Advanced search

Chewing and then spitting out - problem or phase?

(5 Posts)
Helloginger Thu 23-Dec-10 09:40:15

My DS is 22 months and up till recently has been a good eater. Lately he's been getting food in his mouth and chewing it, and then spitting it out. He does it even when I know he's hungry, and with food he has previously demolished. I try really hard not to react, just re-offer and then move on. He's v drooley, but always has been, and has all his teeth apart from his molars.
He doesn't do it with treats usually, which gives me hope that this is just him asserting himself rather than a real problem, but I don't know! In all other ways he's bright, clever and funny, and a joy! What should we do?

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Thu 23-Dec-10 09:44:49

Nothing. Just put bits of food in front of him and let him get on with it. He'll eat what he wants.

Don't let it become a battle. He'll love that! grin Just let him chew it and spit it out. He'll probably put it back in his mouth again anyway grin

You're sure he's not teething? I don't know how old they are when the molars come through.

Eat with him. You might find him more willing to eat if you make it a social occasion, iyswim.

And above all else - Don't react!

Don't do what I did and cook 5 different bloody dinners. <rolls eyes>

Helloginger Thu 23-Dec-10 12:10:36

Thanks so much for your reply! I was heading down the "five bloody meals" road rapidly! I'd done all this Anabel Karmel lovely stuff for him and he just lets it fall out of his mouth! He'll eat things that are star-shaped, too so lunch today will be star- shaped cheese butties, or nowt! grin

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Thu 23-Dec-10 15:25:45

Oh, I used to chase my first round the room, pleading with him to eat.

By the time I had my second I barely turned a hair as they munched on slugs and snails and cat litter.

I remember how obsessive I was with my first about food. Quantity, quality, food groups...

Poor little bugger suffered spinach and all sorts grin

Learn from my mistakes grin shove a variety of stuff at them and relax.

faverolles Thu 23-Dec-10 15:57:46

Agree with Hec - don't react!
DS used to do this, when he first discovered spitting, we thought it was hilarious, and I'm sure he did it for far longer than if we just ignored it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now