Talk

Advanced search

Happy 8 month old suddenly very clingy - help!

(5 Posts)
amyboo Thu 16-Dec-10 20:58:47

DS is 8.5 months old and has been in creche 4 days a week since he was 5 months old. He's usually very happy, smily and has no problems at creche. On the other day he stays at home with DH, and I work shorter hours so me and DS get time together in the mornings and evenings.

This was all working really well, but now DS has got really clingy with me. He screams if I leave the room, leave him at creche or even when I move across the room to get a toy for example. Wherever I am, he crawls towards me and grabs my leg or foot! This has been going on for a few days.

It's so upsetting cos he's normally such a happy and contented baby. Do you think this is just a phase? Any advice on how to make things easier for him/us? I hate to think of him crying all day at creche (which apparently he's pretty much done the last 2 days). Help!

McGill Thu 16-Dec-10 21:25:37

That must be really hard for u. I'm afraid I have no advice, but just to let you know it's likely a phase and will pass-they tend to get 'separation anxiety' stArting about this age. My son started nursery at 5 months and was fine as well until about 8or9 months-he was a 'serious' baby-not smiley, but not miserable either but about the 8 month mark he started crying every time I dropped him off-it did settle quickly so that ge only cried for a few mins( altho that continued until he was2!). It does pass but it can just be upsetting for u-and also bloody frustrating if u need a pee or cup of tea in peace! Has he been unwell recently? Sam, my son, was alwys much worse if he had been unwell. Hope it passes soon x

tabulahrasa Fri 17-Dec-10 09:05:25

it's a developmental stage - it means he's worked out that he's a separate person from you and that you can leave him, it's good, though annoying, lol

amyboo Fri 17-Dec-10 09:41:47

Thanks for your comments. We had some crying this morning when i left him at crech, so I'll wait and see what he's been like when I pick him up at 4pm. He was ill a couple of weeks ago, and then we visited my parents for 5 days. So, I guess he's also got used to having me, DH and others around giving him lots of attention. It's heartbreaking though - I hope he realises soon that I always come back to him

MmeButterfly Fri 17-Dec-10 14:42:14

Hi amyboo
my dd is also 8 months old and has also become very clingy! i'm a sahm, but even so, whenever i try to leave the room or anything, she's stuck to my leg! She wont' give anybody else in the family the time of day either although dh is in favour sometimes.
I'm guessing this is 'normal' and am just trying to give her the reassurance she needs - i've started using my ring sling alot so i can get stuff done. I;m also taking it as an indication that she's realising how big the world is and that sometimes its a bit scary too.... i suppose its all part of development. Good luck! x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: