Talk

Advanced search

Separation Anxiety???

(5 Posts)
CuppaNCiggiePlease Thu 16-Dec-10 12:44:14

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on dealing with my dd, I am at my wits end!
Dd is 20months. Myself and her father split 6 months ago. She does have contact with him, unfortunately it's when he can be arsed to turn up! angry Since the split, dd has become so clingy its driving me round the twist. I only have to move from the living room and has the most spectacular tantrums! This happens at least 8 times a day!
I do believe she feels insecure at the moment and I do understand that but it's so frustrating!
Does anyone have experience of this? Or any advice? It will be much appreciated.

BlueberryPancake Thu 16-Dec-10 12:51:18

I can't give you much advice... I only came across this situation once, with a little girl older than you. After her parents split up, every time she would see her dad (who is my husband's best friend) she would be so clingy he couldn't go to the loo without her. I didn't have children at the time and couldn't really understand her behaviour, but she clearly felt very insecure. She HAD to see him every second of every minute she would spend with him. It did pass with time, and she became more confident with time but it took a long time. I hope other parents here can give you better advice.

dinkystinky Thu 16-Dec-10 12:51:22

It is separation anxiety and it will pass. Spend lots of time with her (both you and her father, together or separately), talk to her, if she's upset cuddle her and take her with you from room to room and she'll start to feel more secure again eventually. And explain to her father that he needs to pull his weight as its having a negative impact on his DD that she doesnt know when she'll see him next..

BlueberryPancake Thu 16-Dec-10 12:51:40

I menat older than your daughter, not older than you!!

CuppaNCiggiePlease Thu 16-Dec-10 12:57:21

Thankyou for the replies. I do try to take her with me, she helps to cook and tidy up! I do believe it has a lot to do with her dad messing the access up. One week he'll turn up for a couple of hours then we don't see him for 3 weeks!
Hmmm I suppose it's a waiting game. Maybe one day I'll be able to go to the loo on my own! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now