Talk

Advanced search

9 months old, and miserable as sin...

(5 Posts)
LaTristesse Tue 14-Dec-10 08:29:09

My DS is 9mo, and I think we've only had about 2 days in the last month where he's been 'happy smiley baby'. Instead we've had 'grumpy grizzly baby', and neither of us are very happy with that!

I know he's doing lots developmentally around this age, as well as teething, but it's messed up his sleep and ruined his appetite. And I won't even mention the separation anxiety... sad

Can anyone reassure me this is all normal, and give me an indication of when my sweet giggly baby might return? This is so much harder to manage than when he was newborn.

Thanks...

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 14-Dec-10 08:39:22

Is he crawling yet? My Dd was very grumpy in the few weeks before she crawled, I think she was very frustrated.

The separation anxiety is awful isn't it? I can't leave my DD for a second. Am sick of taking her to the loo with me!

I think it is normal though - teething is so hard for them, and like you say, there is a lot going on developmentally at this age.

LaTristesse Tue 14-Dec-10 13:14:53

Thanks for the reply. He's caterpillaring along so I guess crawling isn't far off, but he doesn't seem that frustrated by it...

Can anyone else confirm or deny that this sounds normal for 9 months?

lovingpickles Tue 14-Dec-10 13:52:11

DS went through exactly this when he was 9 months old and then four teeth came through one after the other in the space of a month - it's no wonder he was so miserable with all that pain! He was also waking up in the night which is very unusual for him. He was back his normal cheerful self as soon as the fourth tooth appeared.

SleepWhenImDead Tue 14-Dec-10 19:44:20

My DS2 has been v v similar for the past month or more, just sits and cries, especially from 4pm til bedtime. It's been partly due to teething (cutting top incisors today); a bad cold which has left him hoarse with a cough, but also just sheer frustration at not being able to move. I've been trying to wean him from day feeds (besides feeding him before naps/bedtime) and sometimes he's just hungry/thirsty or just missing the boob. He doesn't eat very well so he finds that frustrating. In the last few days he's worked out how to crawl forwards and in the last 20 mins today he was delirious with happiness crawling towards some balloons we had around. It is just a phase but, yes, we have called him some terrible names this week as the whinging and crying just becomes such an annoying soundtrack to your day. Keep up with ibuprofen/paracetamol if you think its teething, it really improves their mood.

PS like your Manics nickname

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: