Talk

Advanced search

14mo can open child-proof Calpol?

(12 Posts)
Roxy25 Mon 13-Dec-10 11:34:47

Hello,
My daughter born mid-Oct 2009 (so 14months tomorrow) seems quite advanced.

She's been able to unscrew drinks bottles, jars and tubes and yesterday undid a child-proof Calpol, got a spoon and started pouring the lidui onto it.

Everything I show her just once, and she gets e.g. eating with a fork, walking up the stairs holding the banisters, sitting on a high-up step and not moving off etc.

She can say about 15 words (balloon, fridge, keys, duck, bus, dog, mum, dad, etc)

Is this normal at this stage?

ToysRLuv Mon 13-Dec-10 11:39:35

I would say that's very advanced. Mine doesn't really say anything yet. He does not walk yet, neither can he open bottles or eat with a fork (he can sort of eat with a spoon, but does not bother - uses hands instead). He has just started pointing, babbles a lot, likes his toy cars, and smiles a lot. That's about it.

wannabeglam Mon 13-Dec-10 11:50:09

Sounds quite advanced to me, but are you sure the Calpol was done up properly? The others sound do-able, but the Calpol...see if she does it again when you have an empty bottle.

Anyway, enjoy her...she'll keep you on your toes.

Roxy25 Mon 13-Dec-10 13:14:22

Hiya
Thanks for responding.
The CalPol was definitely done up as I heard it 'click' when she undid it!

nellieisstilltired Mon 13-Dec-10 13:17:53

I'd put the calpol out of reach fast then. She wont be very advanced if she drinks the bottle.

watercress Mon 13-Dec-10 13:22:33

I haven't come across the ability to open jars so young (though the Calpol is a worry), but my DD1 was a very early talker and had 50 words by her first birthday. She hasn't stopped talking since <sigh>.

Lots of people thought she was some kind of genius, but she was just an early talker. She's a bright button, but is much the same as her peers now.

Just enjoy the progress!

MajesticScallop Mon 13-Dec-10 13:33:26

She's more advanced than me then. I still can't open child-proof Calpol, and I'm 41.

MollieO Mon 13-Dec-10 13:36:40

Ds could do all of that by that age plus open the stairgate. Fortunately he has always been pretty sensible (he'd close the gate after him too!). You need to ensure Calpol etc is kept out of reach and hidden.

Ds is now 6.5 and can open wine bottles that 3 adults failed to do! Handy skill to have in one so young. grin

ShatnersBassoon Mon 13-Dec-10 13:38:09

She's a genius. Get a lockable medicine cabinet.

jocie Mon 13-Dec-10 17:15:30

ha i managed to open a bottle of calpol when i was about the same age. It was on a high cabinet and i was in my cot but managed to climb out and push a chair and teddies next to the cabinet ( at least this is what my mum had deduced happened) and climbed up it all go the bottle and proceeded to drink the whole lot!!! My mum didn't realize until i went into her saying "yum, yum" as she thought i was safely in my cot> Needless to say i had a trip to a and e to have my stomach pumped! Luckely it had no lasting effects!!!

stressheaderic Mon 13-Dec-10 17:16:04

Wow. She clearly has super strength - I can't even open the Calpol bottle and I'm 31.

rainyspells Mon 13-Dec-10 21:16:44

I know how you feel, my 19mo DD has recently starting constructing her own time machine. All she needs now is the Uranium that Santa is bringing her for Christmas and she's all set.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: