Talk

Advanced search

Weird speech quirk in 2yo?

(5 Posts)
WildhoodChunder Fri 10-Dec-10 09:41:20

DD got up yesterday and has suddenly started adding an "a" sound onto the end of any words ending in an 'ee' sound, so daddy is now said "daddia", TV is "TV-a", "tummy" is "tummia"... you get the idea. She's still doing it today. I'm ignoring it and just repeating the word correctly for her in context, so she says "wearing daddia's slippers", I say "yes, you are wearing daddy's slippers". DH is making a bigger deal of it when he corrects her. Bit odd as it started so suddenly and she had been saying the words correctly previously. Is it just a weird toddler phase she'll grow out of?

otchayaniye Fri 10-Dec-10 10:02:07

Tell your DH not to correct her. She's too young for that and it could inhibit her, or make her continue.

Just repeat the correct way to say it in natural conversation.

otchayaniye Fri 10-Dec-10 10:03:09

sorry, meant to say the way you are doing it is the best way. Never make a very young child say things the right way, or imply she's being 'wrong'.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 10-Dec-10 10:25:16

DD, now 9.7 did that around the age of 3. Her nursery teacher who had previously been Miss Melanie, became Melania, her friend Adam became Adam-ia. She outgrew it, though Miss Melania is still called that when we see her.

WildhoodChunder Sat 11-Dec-10 07:29:16

Good to know it's 'normal', Kreecher. I'll have a word with DH about not picking DD up on it - thanks Otchayaniye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now