Talk

Advanced search

Snoring 3 year old

(12 Posts)
couldtryharder Thu 09-Dec-10 20:45:06

He's really loud!

He's snored for as long as we can remember, but it's only recently, since he's wanted to have his door left open when he goes to bed, that we've realised how loud he is. we can hear him when we are downstairs over the noise of the TV.

Is it normal? Is it just one of those things? Or is it a problem? I supposed I've always thought that snoring is something that affects old, fat, drunk men who sleep on their backs - no I'm not referring to you dear husband ;-) But what if he's got some kind of sleep apnea (sp?) and he's not getting good deep sleep and I should whisk him down the doctors??

What to do......?

Galena Thu 09-Dec-10 20:49:05

Dr would check him out I'm sure. I wouldn't say it's normal for him to snore that loudly but it may be fine.

Flowerbomb Thu 09-Dec-10 20:49:25

I think it's probably normal, does he sleep on his back? My DD sometimes snores, when DH and I can hear it through the monitor we say it is the nicest sound in the world, I love it. Don't think there would be any problems causing this, DH says that when I sleep on my back I snore too (not fat, drunk or a man hehe)

couldtryharder Thu 09-Dec-10 20:53:50

Good point Flower. My husband tells me that I am capable of snoring (slightly plump, occassionaly drunk, certainly not a man) lol.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Thu 09-Dec-10 20:56:43

He needs his adenoids checking. These cause snoring in children. If he's waking in the morning and is still exhausted then pop him to the GP.

Flowerbomb Thu 09-Dec-10 21:00:19

I just think that children are sooooo precious that anything that concerns you is worth checking, even if just for peace of mind and if you're slightly concerned then listen to your inner mother self and just ask the question, no harm done in that. Like cookie monster said could even be something like adenoids. xx

couldtryharder Thu 09-Dec-10 21:03:48

Thanks ladies. Will take him to the dr next week. Hope she doesn't think that I'm a hypercondriac though - I'm in and out for blood tests for lack of sex drive and mood swings (TMI), daughter is in and out for vulvovaginitis (whole 'nother story) and husband is in and out for a persistant shoulder injury! What an unhealthy bunch we seem to be.

TheLemur Fri 10-Dec-10 10:04:34

Can you update us with what Dr says please? I am interested as DS is a bit of a snorer, but I've not done anything about it as it doesn't seem to affect his life/behaviour. Maybe this is the wrong approach though!

ppeatfruit Fri 10-Dec-10 11:45:16

Although my DH is a fat, old sometimes drunk man grin he only snores when he's eating a lot of dairy, you could look at that with yr DS.

rattling Fri 10-Dec-10 20:44:45

Just had DS in the hospital overnight with bronchiolitis. He was fine after a teeny bit of O2, but most of the nurses and the doctor who discharged us mentioned his snoring and the possibility he may need his adenoids checked. As he had just spent the night on an oxygen monitor they were happy there wasn't a problem at the moment, but suggested a trip to the GP if things got any worse or we had any worries. Don't think it is likely to be a huge problem, but they definitely gave the impression that GP would take it seriously and refer you to ENT.

(DS is only 19 months old and possible adenoid problem was NOT reason for hospital)

airborne Fri 10-Dec-10 21:08:59

My DS (age 3) recently had his adenoids out, he was a very loud snorer with sleep aponea BUT it didnt appear to affect his health, at least I didn't think it did. He was never tired in the morning even though he would wake several times during the night because of his breathing. He suffered colds lots - possibly as he was a mouth breather. It took me a while and a push to get a referral as GP was insistent he would grow out of snoring - the trick is to insist they have sleep aponea, I can't believe the difference - now he doesnt make a sound, I have to keep checking he is breathing! Surgeon said his adenoids were HUGE and he didnt know how he had kept going for this long as he must have struggled! Poor thing - however, I guess he didnt know any different. So def. worth checking out.

stickersarecurrency Fri 10-Dec-10 21:14:09

Wow. DS is 3 and perpetually exhausted. Snores like a fat old man. Just finished antibiotics for ongoing ear/tonsil thing and doc mentioned adenoids and snoring. Wonder if there's more to it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: