Talk

Advanced search

what age should a nearly 5 year old

(5 Posts)
MrsDrOwenHunt Thu 09-Dec-10 19:07:54

ds is nearly 5 and starts full time school in january, he can recognise the letters in his name and a few others but not all of alphabet, should he not know more by now?

couldtryharder Thu 09-Dec-10 20:51:14

Who knows? But he'll learn them at school soon enough, so don't worry. They all learn at different rates and it's really not worth comparing them or wondering by what age they should be capable of what. Wait and see what his teachers say at your first parents evening. Just give him lots of opportunities to use letters and sounds in his play and games and lots of praise and encouragement.

kalo12 Thu 09-Dec-10 20:54:10

no harm in teaching him them.

Greeninkmama Thu 09-Dec-10 20:56:12

I agree with couldtryharder. He will get there in his own time - and you should remember that it can take boys longer to get reading (school is designed for girls really). The most important thing is that he sees letters and numbers as fun rather than a chore.

MerryMarigold Thu 09-Dec-10 20:58:11

Naaaaaaaaaah. Ds is past 5 and is just learning them now in reception. He doesn't know all the letters in his name (only first 3).

You can make it fun if he's happy to do it (my ds wasn't, so I didn't push it to put him off). He is happy learning it school when everyone else is doing it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: