Talk

Advanced search

need some suggestions re sleep.

(5 Posts)
Karoleann Wed 08-Dec-10 17:05:49

Ds2 is 2.5, a couple of weeks ago I stopped his nap as I was having increasing problems getting him down for it, he was really miserable for the rest of the afternoon if I cut down his nap (ie woke him up) and he just wouldn't go to sleep in the evening.
Generally he's a little grumpy at about 5.30pm, but not that tired, and he'll usually go down to bed okay at 7/7.30, but he's been waking a couple of times in the evening and then again a couple of times at night.
I'm pregnant (4.5 months) and I'm knackered!
Anyone have any suggestions? I assumed it would get better with time, but its getting worse. Last night he woke up 4 times & woke DS1 up twice.

SkyBluePearl Wed 08-Dec-10 22:08:58

You must be exhausted!! Is he warm enough at night? Can you put two sets of PJ's on him or put him to bed in a sleeping bag? Is he too big to get out of a travel cot? The first time he gets up out of bed each night can you tell him you will put him in a travel cot the next time he gets up - then calmly follow through. Worked with my son.

Tgger Wed 08-Dec-10 22:59:01

Oh no! Poor you!

That's the trouble, they tend to wake more when they're overtired. Groan...

I feel your pain, having gone through similar with my son. We had nap battles between 2.5 and 3.5, when he finally stopped napping. I stopped trying just after 3, but he really needed it and Daddy would often have success at the weekend smile.

If he's not napping I would get him in bed at 6.45 latest or a bit before, even if he doesn't seem tired I bet he's knackered. My son is now asleep by 6.45 each night, age 4 and he really needs to be.

Sorry, not much help. Maybe the earlier bed time and some chill out time on the sofa in the afternoon?

I think at this age they also fight you on decisions re naps/bedtime etc just because they are 2.5 and that's what this age do, grrrrrrr

Karoleann Thu 09-Dec-10 08:01:22

pearl - I have massive kids! (and a massive DH), he could tip the travel cot over 6 months ago. If anything he may be too hot, I've got the gas people out to look at his radiator next week.
tgger I will try and get him down a bit earlier. It doesn't help that my eldest at 4 doesn't need a huge amount of sleep, he's usually in his bedroom by 7.30pm, but not usually asleep til 8.30pm.

frogger77 Thu 09-Dec-10 09:27:03

My ds also 2.5 was like this too and I cut out his nap but it didn't help as he would just be miserable and clingy all afternoon ( also have ds 1) so started letting him go back to bed about half 8 am and he sleeps for an hour or so then which gives him enough energy to last through the day. He is in bed at night by 7.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: