Talk

Advanced search

2 year old hits her yonger brother

(3 Posts)
mummybrowny Wed 08-Dec-10 10:51:10

Can any help? My 2 year old is regually violent towards her 14 week old brother. She kicks, scratches and hits him. She thinks it's funny. I've tried the naughty corner and but just thinks it's a game.
I'm worried she is really going to hurt him. My Husband and I provide her with a loving environment with no violence or shouting. I can't understand.

BubbaAndBump Wed 08-Dec-10 15:29:17

It'll be her way of displaying jealousy and trying to get your attention. If at all possible, don't leave him in a position where she can get at him. When she kicks and hits etc, say no very firmly and remove her from the situation. Don't give her more attention than that, but praise her to high heaven when she does nice and helpful things with him. She'll soon get the message that nice behaviour gets lots of attention, and bad behaviour doesn't.

Also, where possible make sure you still have time with her on her own doing fun things, but explain that sometimes you need to give attention to her little brother.

It's sooooooo hard but it will pass if you're consistent. First four months or so of having two that age were the hardest for me, (and I'm about to introduce a 3rd distraction into the equation, so it can't be all bad).

SkyBluePearl Wed 08-Dec-10 21:56:32

I'd calmy/quietly/firmly stick her in a room on her own when she does it. Maybe then show her how to touch your son gently. Give tons of praise and attention to her when she is playing nicely or being gentle with your son - it must be such a shock to have a new sibling. Be sure to tell her how much you love her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: