Talk

Advanced search

14 mth old crying then being sick - help : (

(13 Posts)
KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Mon 06-Dec-10 19:53:46

I'm hoping someone might have some advice/experience. My 14 mth old had a D&V bug a few weeks ago and since then he keeps being sick when he cries - I don't know whether the two are connected, but this is a very recent development and one I'm finding very difficult to handle blush.

He will cry (this normally happens around bedtime) and I will pick him up and either feed him/give him pain relief/cuddles/whatever I think is wrong, but then he carries on crying and then throws up. I know some people who do CC find their LOs are sick when left to cry for long periods, but this is minutes not hours and he isn't being left at all.

This also happens in the middle of the night. Again, I'm sure he hasn't been crying for long (I'm a light sleeper) but sometimes it takes time for me to get milk from the kitchen if that's what I think he needs and by the time I reach him he is already hysterical and will then be sick sad.

I don't know what to do. I have emetophobia so am really struggling - esp tonight when dh is away and he has just been sick all over himself, me and the carpet sad.

Any ideas/suggestions/experience?

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Mon 06-Dec-10 20:08:59

bump

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Mon 06-Dec-10 20:41:07

No one? sad

Zoidberg Mon 06-Dec-10 20:49:58

Hi, I can sympathise as DD (now 19months) does this and has for, oo, 6 months or more, can't remember. But basically when she gets upset sometimes she goes straight from ok-two mins crying-projectile sick.

Sorry I don't have any advice other than we are better prepared at times when we know she might get upset e.g. DP putting her to sleep when she really wanted me - he wears dirty clothes and tries to avoid getting too much on the carpet as that's harder to clean, or wrapping myself in a towel and holding her so that she's sick on that rather than everywhere. Urgh I know.

We have said to ourselves it's "her thing" at the moment, ie try to stop the habit of getting really worried/upset about it ourselves and see it as just what she does when she's upset, she's just like that etc. I wondered if she's a bit more sensitive than some other toddlers, but really that makes no difference, still can't stop her throwing up if that's what she's going to do.

This too shall pass!

I would have said try to avoid trigger situations but that's impossible with waking in the night as he's sick so quickly.

thisisyesterday Mon 06-Dec-10 20:50:01

oh gosh, no experience but that sounds very hard

the only thing i can think of is that he is really just triyng to shake off the last of the bug he had

i know a couple of christmasses ago ds2 had an awful D&V bug and after a week we thought he was over it, only for him to then be sick every few days for quite a wqhile longer

so i wonder if he cries because he feels ill... and is then sick?

Zoidberg Mon 06-Dec-10 20:52:36

That post reminds me, sometimes I think the crying is because DD feels a bit ill and being sick makes her feel better - tmi coming up - when I see food she had more than 5 hours before undigested in there I reckon that it was that and she needed to be sick on those occasions. Baby led weaning and no molars means there's been quite a lot of that, until we cut up more of her food.

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Mon 06-Dec-10 21:10:17

Thank you both for posting - really hoping it's remains of the bug rather than something he's going to keep on doing blush. I never used to worry about nights on my own, but now I'm dreading tonight and what I'll do if he's sick blush.

He is a sensitive little soul and always has been, but this is a whole new development. He is sick for both me and dh so don't know if a different face would work. Certainly need to be prepared though. His poor brother shares a room too and gets upset when he sees his baby bro' being sick sad.

It's all so horrible.

Sorry, having a sicky toddler is my worst parenting nightmare as I am sooo phobic about sick blush.

ffried Mon 06-Dec-10 22:32:22

the more calm you are he will be also, mabye he can sense your stress over hi being sick? i don't have experience but i think you should take him to the doctor for help it might be he has a reflux situation. whatever it is the best advice regarding babies i got was everything is a phase they get over things as do you. good luck

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Tue 07-Dec-10 13:17:09

Thank you ffried. I do try and hide my fear, but probably not v well blush. I will give it another week and then take him to the GP if no improvement.

ThatllDoPig Tue 07-Dec-10 15:55:22

There was a little one doing this on supernanny once, whenever the mum wouldn't pick him up. She said to clean up the sick, but make as little reaction as possible to it, and definately not 'reward' the child with whatever it wants when this behavious happnes.

But obviously get the medical side checked out first.

I'm sure this will change soon, hang in there!

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Tue 07-Dec-10 15:59:55

I saw that too Thatll, but the child was much older. I was wondering if a 14mth old could be that manipulative? confused

Galena Tue 07-Dec-10 21:06:48

At around 14 months DD started doing this. I mentioned it to the HV at the 1yr check (!) and she was pleased that DD had reached this 'developmental stage'!! I wasn't so pleased! She told me to get DD to sleep through the night I had to leave her to cry and if she was sick I should clean it up without comment and put her back in the cot and walk out again. I refused to do this and so I carried on cuddling her and trying to avoid crying. She's now 19mo and much better and tends not to be sick even if she's screaming (she's just found her temper!).

Do get him checked out if it doesn't improve though. DD took a dummy and that meant she tended not to scream while I was cuddling her.

KnittingisbetterthanTherapy Tue 07-Dec-10 21:36:39

Thanks Galena, we're not control crying him - he takes a matter of minutes to get into this state sad.

Cuddling doesn't always stop him doing it either.

I think I will check in with the GP just in case there is an underlying medical issue blush.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: