Talk

Advanced search

Terrible twos...and he's not yet one...

(4 Posts)
ReadingTeaLeaves Sat 04-Dec-10 23:33:04

Just wondering if anyone else has had this and what to do about it...

DS is 11mo and generally delightful. Has always been a very smiley, usually happy kid and is very active - into everything. People often comment on how happy he seems and they are right, particularly when we're with other people (and he's getting loads of attention!).

However, when he's unhappy he is seriously, seriously unhappy. If you take a toy from him, or if something else happens that he's not 100% happy about he has a total and utter hissy fit. Serious hysteria to the point of holding his breath for 30+ seconds. It can be quite dramatic. On a bad day that can happen really regularly - several times an hour. On a good day it might happen once or twice only.

He is so utterly delightful when he's happy, but I find it really quite wearing when he's like this and I'm worried that by the time he hits the REAL terrible twos we are going to be in big trouble.

Also, he's now clearly getting to the point when he's learning from us all the time. Do I need to be doing anything so he starts to realise that this sort of behaviour isn't acceptable? He's so little now I'm not too worried about long term consequences but should I be doing anything to nip it in the bud now?

Anyone got any advice / reassurance?

GrimmaTheNome Sat 04-Dec-10 23:46:04

I seem to remember noting that DDs 'terrible twos' started at this age. IIRC it didn't really get so very much worse when she really was 2 but as its a decade ago now I can't exactly remember the details.

Just wanted to let you know it was normal before your thread slipped of active convos smile

ReadingTeaLeaves Sun 05-Dec-10 18:30:26

Thanks Grimma.

AllSheepareWhite Sun 05-Dec-10 18:45:15

DD was exactly the same at that age, I chose to ignore until she calmed down if strong tantrum then distract or straight distract if only a little hissy fit. She is now 17 months and has progressed to throwing herself belly down on the floor (as if she has fallen) and rolling around saying ohhh as if hurt to get attention when she is told off or has something taken away from her I ignore that too! Now only has strong tantrums if tired.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: