Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal when starting nursery?

(7 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:13:39

DS just 3 has started 'big' nursery this week. He has really regressed with the potty training, LOADS of wet pants and now pooing too This has been the case at home too since starting. He has also been a bit up and down, tired and grumpy, fine the next. Sadly he did bite someone today. Teacher said it was very minor and he stopped himself (?? Not sure what she meant by this??) but even so I am gutted!

Mishy1234 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:37:55

Sorry to hear your DS is having a bit of a wobble. How long has he been potty trained for?

I think it's quite common for potty training to take a bit of a backwards step when they experience a change in environment. He's trying to adjust and having a bit of difficulty (not unusual I may add). I would have another word with the teacher about how he's coping (the biting is just another little adjustment reaction imo). There may be things you can do to help him and I'm sure she'll be able to provide reassurance.

Hope things settle down soon.

Mishy1234 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:40:33

Also, try to remain low key when he has an accident. Don't make a big deal about it, just continue to remind him to use the potty as when you were training.

Could he have a wee bug or something? Sometimes if they are a bit under the weather they can regress too.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:43:25

Thank you for your post. Really helpful.

He has been potty trained, well reminded, for a good few months. The nursery is busy and lots going on so I think there is more focus on getting the children to be super independant rather than reminding them??? It is quite full on, not a small quiet setting, its very large and busy so will need to see how we go and then review at Christmas I think....

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:44:45

Yes! He has been as white as a sheet for weeks!

Tgger Thu 02-Dec-10 20:36:16

Don't worry. Yes, it's normal. Just hang in there and support him where you can.

We didn't have accidents at nursery but at home in the afternoons when he was tired, and he was much older than your son- nearly 4. This was having not had any accidents (or just the rare one) for about 10 months. We had loads of wet trousers.

It just went away after a few weeks after he'd settled so hopefully that will happen with your son too. It's frustrating but very understandable and I agree a low profile is best, just like when you're training.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 03-Dec-10 14:49:29

Thank-you Tgger gosh parenting is one big worry after worry isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now