Talk

Advanced search

6 mth old stop start development strangeness

(5 Posts)
flexab23 Wed 01-Dec-10 19:52:13

Our 26 week dd (born 6 weeks prem) seems to learn a new trick and then stop doing it after a few days. She rolled from front to back about 6 weeks ago for a few days and since then has not done it since. Most worrying to me is that she hasn't once rolled from back to front yet.

Also she started babbling, then schreeching and then razzing but after approx a week of making the new noises she stops and hasn't really repeated them since. Infact she hasn't really 'spoken' (only shouted and cried) since she had a cold last week. Help!

Is this normal? Should I speak to HV (who says everything is always normal)?

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Wed 01-Dec-10 20:09:23

My DS did this - learns a trick then stopped. He did it with babbling and clapping. But he picked them up again later down the line. I figured that he saw no reason to do something or got distracted by a new skill so didn't bother with the old one!

Galena Wed 01-Dec-10 20:34:21

DD (13 weeks prem) also did this. Didn't roll back to front for AGES cos she hated tummy time so I don't think she saw the point of rolling to her front.

She goes through phases of suddenly learning lots of new things, then seems to stop for a while. She's doing fine though. She's now 19mo actual (16mo corrected) and while she isn't yet walking, she's crawling, pulling up to stand, climbing, talking and generally a cute monkey!

flexab23 Wed 01-Dec-10 20:54:59

Phew - thanks both! HV already thinks I'm one of those over anxious new mums...guess she's prob right!

drivingmisscrazy Wed 01-Dec-10 20:56:13

DD did (does) this: met a 'milestone', did it frequently for about 2 days, mastered it, moved on...I was so worried about her inability to roll that I rolled her up in a quilt, and kept showing her blush. She thought it was pretty funny, but it didn't teach her to roll...

Remember that they are little people - I used to worry about the fact that DD would use a word for a few days and then never say it again (seemingly); but we all have loads of vocab that we rarely need to use. Likewise all the other skills we have - just because she can make raspberry noises doesn't mean she wants to all the time. She sounds like she's doing great

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: