Talk

Advanced search

breast pads

(21 Posts)
flickor Tue 30-Nov-10 14:30:45

I am breast feeding but the pads I use do not stop leaks what do people use ?

Pinner35 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:32:01

I have used the Boots own brand and the Lansinoh ones, both of which were good. I am less prone to leaking now so I have switched to the washable ones.

flickor Tue 30-Nov-10 15:40:05

that is useful to know will try these out

lizE09 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:02:40

The boots slim ones were good. Didn't show as much through my clothes

5DollarShake Tue 30-Nov-10 18:54:20

I've tried loads and find Lansinoh to be the best. Many simply act as another layer for the milk to leak through, so are effectively useless.

Lansinoh work like a disposable nappy - very thin, with a gel which absorbs and holds the moisture.

I have an over-supply (which has calmed down now DD is 4 months old) and these are the only ones which have been any good.

msbossy Tue 30-Nov-10 22:23:51

Try Johnson & Johnson. They have a waterproof backing :-)

Scrutler Tue 30-Nov-10 22:57:13

Tommee Tippee ones were best for me - only ones that stopped the leaks. Once less leaky, the washable ones were fine.

Sarahlou8 Wed 01-Dec-10 10:35:56

I use Johnsons breast pads as they are breathable, the plastic backed ones make me itchy.

I also find that if I put pressure on the opposite nipple during letdown when I'm feeding then I don't leak at all.

Or use breast shells and collect the milk!

flickor Wed 01-Dec-10 11:15:29

Thanks - lots of useful ideas and one might work.

zapostrophe Wed 01-Dec-10 20:05:58

Message withdrawn

dinkystinky Wed 01-Dec-10 20:07:53

Johnsons and Johnsons or Lansinoh were the best in my opinion. At nights I used to use 2 (J&J and Lansinoh in that order) and breast shells as otherwise I'd end up with a soaked bed! The good news is that the leaking does die down fairly quickly.

gourd Thu 02-Dec-10 16:05:12

None of them absorb very much. I use washables but I have to use two pads per cup to stop milk going on my top and my baby is twelve weeks old so i don't think it's related to how long you've been breastfeeding. As for over night, my baby sleeps through 8-9 hours now, so I nearly always wake in a damp milky bed. We use a waterproof cot mattress protector in our bed now! Wearing a bra and pads at night doesn't help much as when you lie on your side your nipples aren't covered by the pads anymore, any movement or turning over dislodges everything so it's impossible to stop milk leaking onto the sheets - just one of the joys!

gourd Thu 02-Dec-10 16:07:39

I have tried disposables but found them all papery and scratchy on my skin and a really disgusting mess when soaked through - I prefer wet cotton to wet paper!

DrSeuss Thu 02-Dec-10 16:28:55

You can get some Greman ones on ebay that are made of microfibre, they were good. For my forthcoming DC I have bought Lilypadz. No idea if they are any good as I haven't tried them yet due to lack of baby but I'll let you know.

gourd Thu 02-Dec-10 16:39:59

Yes I bet the silicone ones will not leak at all. Might get some myself! They're quite expensive but I guess you only need one pair.

DrSeuss Thu 02-Dec-10 16:55:21

http://cgi.ebay.de/disana-Stilleinlagen-11-cm-wasc hbar-100-kbA-Baumwolle-/270197783079?pt=DE_Baby_Ki nd_Babypflege_Stillzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3ee90afa2 7

These are the ones. Not perfect, but better than most on sale here. They are German, not Greman as previously stated!
The Lilypadz are silicone and look great. Anyone tried them?

Woodlands Fri 03-Dec-10 19:07:59

I bought the Lilypadz and they were OK. I only used them at night as during the day I had nowhere to put them while I fed, and they were brilliant for nights because it meant I didn't have to wear a bra. I stopped using them after I got a blocked duct - I thought it might be connected. I then discovered I wasn't really leaking much at night any more (about 3 months by then) and just put a towel under the relevant bit of the sheet. I've stopped wearing breast pads altogether now at 4.5 months.

flickor Sat 04-Dec-10 18:11:53

Thanks for all your advice - currently using the disposable Lanisoh pads and they are a real improvement. I will also give Johnson and Johnson, Tommy Tipee a go as well. I may move on to Lilypadz or washables as my baby is only three weeks old and feeding every four hours.
I like breastfeeding though - its hard but I have started looking forward to it.

DrSeuss Sat 04-Dec-10 19:26:15

Breast feeding is a bugger at first and has its disadvantages, such as being a bit tying, but it isgreat, isn't it? I cried the last time I fed my DS!

flickor Sun 05-Dec-10 20:03:55

I think I will miss it Dr Seuss though last night at 3 pm I was saying different things !!

johnson and johnson s are the only ones that work for me,ive tryed alot,theyre are comfy too.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now