Talk

Advanced search

How well did your toddler talk at 17 months?

(25 Posts)
kitchencat Tue 30-Nov-10 13:17:40

Just moved to a new area and had a home visit from the health visitor. DS is nearly 17 months and saying a few words - dada (not mama yet, unfortunately!), ball, teddy, vroom, moo when he sees a cow, baa for a sheep etc. He attempts other words and understands simple requests like 'bring me the book' etc. HV basically said she would expect him to be talking much more, babbling constantly and that we should give it a month or so before trying to get him assessed (or into the system). I feel like a bit of a failure really - would be interested to hear what other toddlers are saying at this stage. I know it varies loads. She also says boys are lazy when it comes to speech?!? I always thought the boys were later to talk thing was a bit of an old wives tale. I try my best to talk to him lots but feel guilty now as it's just us two a lot of the time, since DH is away a lot.

SardineJam Tue 30-Nov-10 13:20:12

DS is 19 months, and to be honest, 2 months ago he was pretty much the same, he is learning about a word or so a day now, i really wouldnt worry if i were you

Tee2072 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:21:28

Oh bull. My son is 18 months on 11th December.

He says dada, mama, bye bye, baby and, on occasion, something that his dad and I are convinced is his name.

Some days he babbles non-stop. Some days he doesn't make a peep.

Ignore the HV. She's off her rocker.

ragged Tue 30-Nov-10 13:22:48

Badly. All lousy talkers -- saying much less than your DC at that age.

Your experience is hugely more proactive than anything I have experienced. DC4 got noted down as saying only about 11 words at his 2 yr review (he was 2y3months, actually). He is supposed to be on the list for them to get back in touch (he is now almost 3yo and they still haven't been in touch). I do want him referred, but I won't be surprised if he's borderline for qualifying for SALT on the NHS.

Only DC3 had SALT (not a lot, either). DS1 (no interventions ever) got complimented for how articulate he was in reception.

TheChamomileLawn Tue 30-Nov-10 13:23:02

He didn't really start talking much until 22 months. The hv is wrong.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 30-Nov-10 13:23:26

DS2 was over 2, probably 26 months when he started saying much more than your ds is atm.

Now a few months on we really can't shut him up and he's using 4 syllable words.

I'd keep an eye on it, but certainly for now it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Hullygully Tue 30-Nov-10 13:24:15

Pluent in Latin, slightly lagging in Ancient Greek.

Health visitors are mental. Fact. I had this from a loony HV, my son is now an academic scholar and terrifyingly articulate.

robino Tue 30-Nov-10 13:26:19

DD1 wasn't saying that much at 17mths. Might have just about scraped 50 words at 2 year check (but it was say them once, not very clearly and never again). Only talking in sentences by 3. 3.10 now and cannot stop her!

DrCosyTiger Tue 30-Nov-10 13:30:08

Oh good heavens what a load of nonsense. My DD said very little at 17m, just the odd word (cat, bubbles and dada from what I remember - not mummy!) She's now almost 21m, has stacks of words and is starting to put them together in phrases. It has all happened very rapidly over the last couple of weeks. So please don't worry.

DrCosyTiger Tue 30-Nov-10 13:32:13

Sorry just to add - the fact your DS understands simple requests is a good sign as it shows his receptive language is fine. His spoken language will almost certainly catch up soon.

kitchencat Tue 30-Nov-10 13:37:19

Thanks all, you've reassured me. I should've taken her comments with a pinch of salt I guess. She didn't seem impressed when I said we're still breastfeeding, didn't tell her we co-sleep most of the night, would have pushed her over the edge!

MaybeTomorrow Tue 30-Nov-10 20:24:39

Oooh kitchencat, I would have been tempted to tell her about the co-sleeping! grin After telling her to shove her concerns!

My DD is 18 months, babbles all the time to her toys but doesn't really say any real words. But ask her to go upstairs and get a book and she'll be up and down with a book in a flash. The only reason I'm being so impatient with her talking is that I can't wait to hear her gorgeous voice! grin

duchesse Tue 30-Nov-10 20:32:59

My oldest had three words at 18 months, and DH was actually struggling to remember the third when he went for his 18m check. By 21 months he'd had a language explosion and was speaking in sentences (of more than 3 words). Nobody worried about him, and he was absolutely fine in fact.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 30-Nov-10 21:12:51

My DD is 2.9 and doesn't say mush more than your DS. SALT isn't overly concerned it'll come in time

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 30-Nov-10 21:13:06

much blush

SkyBluePearl Tue 30-Nov-10 21:16:07

I think she is mad to be suggesting help at 17 months! Can't remember what mine were like speech wise at 17 months but I must say that they make huge massive leaps and jumps between 17 months and 2.5.

At exctly two years old my quiet eldest was talking small amounts while my youngest was talking in 7 word sentences. I also know 2 completely silent 2 year olds but think both extreems are very normal.

Personally i'd review the stuation in another year and in the mean time continue to chat and read books.

Congrats on BFing for so long by the way. x

tholeon Tue 30-Nov-10 21:49:34

hi

my DS is nearly 18 months and pretty much like your son: animal noises, 'dare' (meaning there), 'avar' (meaning clever - generally about himself)...'mmm' meaning yummy - think that's about it..

No Mummy or Daddy though he does babble the sounds. He also understands loads and points/ interacts well. I think they are ok, aren't they?

Am hoping your HV was wrong or we are in the same boat!

kitchencat Tue 30-Nov-10 21:54:40

She just seemed rather concerned as he didn't say much (to her / in front of her) but he can be a wee bit shy. She said it was a good idea to get him 'into the system' as actual assessments can take a while. But it seems ridiculously young!

We're having a tricky time anyway as he hardly eats (never been a big eater), just wants to b/f, and his sleeps all over the place. So hearing that he might have a speech delay was just a bit too much today! Need to learn to be more assertive and trust my instincts.

Thanks again!

mumbar Tue 30-Nov-10 21:56:41

Basically in reply to your OP.

Not a lot and you can't shut him up now grin.

tholeon Tue 30-Nov-10 22:06:06

maybe he just didn't like her wink

Hope you get some sleep soon. DS's improved a lot since we stopped b/fing at night.. don't know if you are still doing that?

kitchencat Tue 30-Nov-10 22:22:10

yes, still feeding at night, feels like all night sometimes! He starts the night in his own bed then comes in with me once he wakes. I reckon he's feeding too much at night, so not hungry during the day, then waking up more at night. Vicious circle but am hoping it's just a phase!

LarissaFeodorovna Tue 30-Nov-10 22:28:50

Child 1: complete sentences at 18 months.
Child 2: Lots of words, but no more.
Child 3: Point and grunt, no more.

A few years on and they never bloody shut up. A bit longer, into the teenage years, and they're back to grunting again. But you honestly couldn't tell now which child spoke early and which one late.

vanimal Tue 30-Nov-10 22:33:02

DD1: Spoke full sentences aged 18 months.
DD2: 17 months old. Says three words. Mama, Bye, Look. And that's it

Don't worry, looking back DD1 went from v few words to lots over a period of weeks.

TBH I am just enjoying the peace and quiet whilst I can

neolara Tue 30-Nov-10 22:33:12

My ds could say only 5 words at 19 months. He's now nearly 4 and is (IMO) extremely articulate. Absolutely no problem having only a few words at 17 months. YOur HV is being over-zealous.

Grumpla Sun 05-Dec-10 01:11:14

My son is 18mo.

He says "DA!". Sometimes at Dad. Sometimes to indicate assent. Sometimes to draw our attention to something.

He says "Mumumum" when he is tired and wants a cuddle.

He says "NNNooooNNNoooooo" when you point to his nose.

That's about it. No animal noises, no nuffink. Blethers on occasionally, says "Loo loo loo" every now and then (haven't figured out what it means though)

I'm not too worried about it. My sister started talking in full sentences at 2, having barely babbled at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: