Talk

Advanced search

3 year old hitting the baby

(5 Posts)
bananabump Mon 29-Nov-10 20:51:58

My ds is 3.4, and he's just started hitting and generally being aggressive to dd 6 months. This is out of the blue as although he's no angel he has always been kind and gentle with her. The times he has hit/poked her roughly were when she was screeching happily. I have tried putting him on the naughty step, it used to work for most problem behaviour but it's not working on this, as the minute she starts making the slightest noise he just starts screaming and poking at her again. Any advice on curbing the bad behaviour?

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Nov-10 20:31:36

You are doing the right thing by removing him. I assume you are saying 'we don't hit'.

If I were you I'd try another tack though 'oh you poor baby, are you hurt, awww come and have a cuddle baby, oh is it your arm/leg, let mummy see, oh dear - let's try and find you a toy shall we'. (ie paying attention to the pokee rather than the poker.)

Toddlers crave attention, removing it often remove the behaviour which is driving you nuts.

SkyBluePearl Tue 30-Nov-10 21:22:38

also is it worth having a bit of special mummy time with out the baby?

praise him and make a fuss when he is being gentle with babe?

also show/remind him how to touch baby nicely

I agree with showing no tolerence in relating to hitting.

PrincessBoo Tue 30-Nov-10 23:26:04

Have you read 'Siblings without rivalry'? I'm reading it at the moment (research for work as I only have one child at the moment), but it's got some fantastic tips which start right from the moment the new baby is born.

ChippingIn Tue 30-Nov-10 23:28:48

Has she started moving around and disturbing his play?

(Not that that is an excuse!)

I would go with a very sharp telling off and a BIG fuss of the baby. Then when he is being nice to the baby making a big fuss of him...

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now