Talk

Advanced search

18mo has stopped sleeping in his bed at night

(7 Posts)
theDudesmummy Mon 29-Nov-10 10:46:27

We are going mad with lack of sleep! My 18 month old lovely DS had been sleeping through the night in his cot (room right next to ours, moved him in there six motnhs ago), with only the occasional disturbed night when not well/teething.

The last few nights he has been waking at about 2am and crying, refusing to stay in his bed. I put him in our bed and we would be fine having him there if he was a normal sleeper! But he literally spins around and round, and kicks non stop. Never stops moving from then until waking up time. We can't go on like this. I am sleepwalking at work right now!

Any ideas?

Orissiah Mon 29-Nov-10 10:48:39

Teething?

theDudesmummy Mon 29-Nov-10 11:43:02

I thought it might be, but he is just fine in the daytime, even eating more than he used to and being very happy and active (far more than me and the DH after the lasr few nights!)

Orissiah Mon 29-Nov-10 13:00:29

Developmental spurt (common at 18 months)? But I've also heard of the 18 month sleep regression. Sorry, hopefully others can chime in and help here. I put all sleep issues (and all other issues actually) with my DD down to "it's a phase and it will pass" as it's often so difficult to deduce a cause (if you've confirmed it's not illness or teething). There is so much going on with babies - physically and mentally. We all have bad patches with sleep - babies/toddlers/children too. If you can rule out illness and teeth; if you can rule out the cold; if you can rule out outside noises; neighbours' noises; bad dreams.... then I would put it down to a phase that all DC go through regularly. If he's always slept well then he should continue to sleep well again once this phase is over. It's the way with my good little sleeper too - we have bad phases but they always pass.

theDudesmummy Mon 29-Nov-10 15:36:23

Thanks for that. I hope it is a phase! We can't go on like this for too long!

theDudesmummy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:18:40

It happened again last night only this time he stayed awake from 1am to 4am! We tried sleeping on the floor next to his cot, holding him, giving him water, eventually giving him Calpol as he was chewing his fingers so we thought a tooth might be sore. Nothing made him go back to sleep until he was good and ready! Shattered at work again today!

theDudesmummy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:18:41

It happened again last night only this time he stayed awake from 1am to 4am! We tried sleeping on the floor next to his cot, holding him, giving him water, eventually giving him Calpol as he was chewing his fingers so we thought a tooth might be sore. Nothing made him go back to sleep until he was good and ready! Shattered at work again today!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: