Talk

Advanced search

Swimming with a 6 week old

(14 Posts)
loopylo Fri 26-Nov-10 08:07:25

I've checked with my HV and she says its ok to go swimming with DD. There is a sing and swim class at 11.15am today at my gym but now I'm scared. She loves the bath and think she will love swimming. I am worried about her getting cold. What do I do in the showers or do I wash her when we get home? Is it silly to go to a class 1st time in the pool or should we just go alone for the 1st time?

HSMM Fri 26-Nov-10 08:21:46

My DD had a quick 5/10 min dip on her first visit. She needed a T shirt over her cozzie to keep her warm. I didn't worry about a shower for her, just dried her quickly and took her home. She loved it.

belgo Fri 26-Nov-10 08:32:38

I don't know what the advice in the UK is but in Belgium they recommend that your baby has had the first two lots of injections (at 2 and 3 months) before going swimming.

6 weeks seems incredibly small, when I think of the chlorine and all the gross stuff in swimming pools. And of course the temperature is a consideration.

BTW me and my family love swimming, I just think 6 weeks is a bit too small. I would just fill up the bath and take her in that with me instead.

KirstyJC Fri 26-Nov-10 08:35:13

In the UK you are told you don't need to wait for any immunisations before taking your LO swimming. You get some classes which take newborns!

I would take her if you think she would like it but maybe not to a class for the first couple of times - she will likely take a few goes to get used to it and you might find you have to get out after a couple of minutes.

Hope you both enjoy it!

PestoEatsSnowWarnings Fri 26-Nov-10 08:35:19

I think you have to have had their first set of jabs (8 weeks) before you can take them swimming for tht first time.

Also, I would suggest you go to proper baby classes where the water is a bit warmer.

I took DD1 at 8 weeks to these and she was fine, wrapped her up warm and fed her afterwards. She was exhausted and slept for ages.... bonus!

otchayaniye Fri 26-Nov-10 08:37:44

I was living in hot Singapore but took mine at 4 weeks. She loved it. I also dunked her head under the water (I'd read they close their noses)

Is it the hot pool? Should be fine. Get her rinsed and dried and dressed quickly. People worry far too much about the cold and babies. As long as you get her warm it will be fine. And if she shivers in the pool, get her out.

The advice about jabs is outdated.

My daughter's now two and we live in a building with a pool (not that warm) but is so confident in the water goes under and is almost swimming (badly) a few feet.

KirstyJC Fri 26-Nov-10 08:38:26

Here - from NHS direct website.

belgo Fri 26-Nov-10 08:39:47

Swimming at 4 weeks after giving birth?! Were'nt you erm ...still bleeding?

otchayaniye Fri 26-Nov-10 08:42:06

I had a section and it was fine. I asked my ob gyn. He said normally to wait 6 weeks but I had healed well (scar only 4 inches) and that an outside pool was less chemical laden so really only like going in a bath.

sleepwhenidie Fri 26-Nov-10 08:44:48

By all means take her, but she will probably get cold very quickly, even in a "warm" pool - maybe after 10 mins - and then you will have to get out and go through the whole palaver of getting her dressed and probably fed before you get yourself dressed - it's really not a lot of fun shivering and drip drying while getting baby sorted.

TBH, taking very small babies swimming is much more hassle than it is worth - she will be at least as happy in a warm bath at home and it will be much easier and more pleasant for you. I'd hang on for some warmer spring weather and an older baby who will really enjoy the pool if I were you - and don't worry, I'm sure it won't affect her swimming abilities later!

EBDteacher Fri 26-Nov-10 19:58:03

We have been taking our LO swimming every week since he was 10weeks (now 15). He really enjoys it- smiling and giggling in the water- so I think it's worth it. We only do 10mins though so he doesn't get too cold.

I also appreciate the value of two adults. We he starts lessons I will have to take him on my own but for now the tag team makes it a good bit easier!

We have a little baby wetsuit that goes over his swim nappy. Seems to help him stay warm, but we hold him close most of the time too.

I was going to start him at swimbaby lessons in January but as a result of experience I'm going to leave that until the Spring because the lessons are 30mins and for now I think 10-15 is enough.

geordieminx Fri 26-Nov-10 20:00:47

Take a fleecy babygro with you, the really thick o es, ideal for putting on quickly and easily, mimum fuss,

Morph2 Fri 26-Nov-10 21:20:53

I started taking my DS from 8 weeks, he is now 6 months and loves the water. First time we took him i was fully intending to just spend about 5 mins in the water to get him used to it and expecting him to maybe cry or be scared. he loved it and cryed when we took him out . We took him just in the baby pool for a start which is really warm and have only recently started taking him to a mother and baby session in the 'big pool'. Usually spend about 15 mins in the big pool and then go in the baby pool for about another 15 mins. I was really worried about taking him in the big pool as they tend not to be very warm so I bought one of those baby wet suits from mothercare for £20, this keeps him lovely and warm. Some of the other babies in the session cry and personally i think its because they are too cold as they just have trunks or a material costume on. Someone was saying mothercare haven't got them in at the minute (maybe they only have in summer?) but i'm sure you can buy on the internet.

loopylo Sun 28-Nov-10 08:05:12

Thanks. I've ordered a baby wet suit Morph2 thanks for the tip. We went just on our own to the pool not a class, will leave that for a bit, and she loved it. Only stayed in 10 minutes but she kicked her legs and didn't cry once. yet again mumsnet has proved invaluable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: