Talk

Advanced search

Behaviour issues in 7 year old boy

(7 Posts)
Clydesdale Thu 18-Nov-10 12:54:01

Need advice here as I can't believe I am the only parent with this problem!

My son seems to have a real prblem with concentration, temper, keeping hands to self etc.

We have conversations about behaving and listening but it seems to be forgotten immediately. He over reacts to other children and was screaming today as someone pulled his jumper hard and repeatedly and pulled him out of the line at school.

he has also been swinginghis bag around his head and hit other children,

I have looked up advice on bullying just in case but can only find advice if your child is being bullied not if they are the one doing the hitting,

I am at my wits end and feel like a very bad parent sad - any advice please

marge2 Thu 18-Nov-10 12:58:05

No advice - waiting to hear what others say as I am in the same situation. I also have a 7 year old son with temper issues.

Clydesdale Thu 18-Nov-10 18:44:41

glad to hear I'm not the only one Marge2 - do you think anyone will have advice for us?

Clydesdale Fri 19-Nov-10 08:20:20

ok - so am now really convinced I am a bad parent and that Marge and I are the only ones with issues sad

got a meeting with DS's teacher today

ANTagony Fri 19-Nov-10 08:40:44

Of course you're not bad parents. Don't be hard on yourselves. Its not as though they come with instruction manuals that you've chosen not to follow.

I think lack of concentration in a 7 year old boy is not unusual. My 7 year old is ASD so gentle reminder to look at people and repeating what has been asked is something we have to go through maybe 50 times a day (no that isn't an exaggeration).

Again keeping hands to self I think children take a long time to develop a sense of personal space and its a constant reminder thing. You could play a game of invading his personal space whilst talking to him about how close is too close. Just edge closer and closer until he has to step back or you're touching.

The bag swinging over head is common again but is not acceptable. If you see it happening a firm reminder with consequences would be my suggestion. Does he need a bag? If he takes packed lunch could he just have a box? Could you say if you are caught with your bag above shoulder height you loose it for the next day?

My son used to fidget and get into scuffles in line when he was younger. If he started to kick of I would pull him from line have a quiet word and make him rejoin the back of the line. Once I did this other parents started to do the same if their little angel was not standing nicely in line. The boys would always rush to the front when the bell rang and then be towards the back by the time the teachers came out.

When you meet the teacher remember to distinguish which are just over enthusiastic behaviours that need constant reminders from those which are not acceptable and need consequences.

Good luck

marge2 Fri 19-Nov-10 10:59:04

Funnily enlough we had parents evening last night too. Dss teacher rated my sons behaviour as 'excellent'. At school he is wonderful apparently. Never shows any temper, really polite, really mellow. Concentrates well. Glowing. Yet I had him screaming 'BITCH' at me a couple of nights ago as he wasn't getting his own way and had got into a fury. He has recently started coming home from school with a few nasty swear words which he has learned from 'x' in his class. I explained that those were words I never wanted to hear him say again under any circumstances ( unless he as talking about dogs!) I brought it up with the teacher. She was totally shocked to hear what he is like at home. I guess she can't really help as she has nothing to deal with from him behaviourwise. It's a relief to hear he is good at school though.

What did your Dss teacher say Clyde?

Clydesdale Mon 22-Nov-10 19:44:22

Ds's teacher said that she was as flummoxed as me. Also agrees that there is loads of advice out there for being bullied but not if your kid has troible keeping their hands to themselves.

He is not a bully, we both agree on that but he just seems to overreact quite spectacularly when other kids get to him so they do it even more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now