Talk

Advanced search

Amber teething necklace - some safety reassurance please?

(10 Posts)
5DollarShake Thu 18-Nov-10 03:14:40

I have bought one for DD who is nearly 15 weeks old. She's not teething yet, but I just have it in readiness.

However, I'm just worried about the safety aspect of such young babies wearing something round their necks!

For instance, if she's in her cot - is there any danger if she moves her head side to side? She often does this pre falling asleep. Can the necklace catch and become a hazard?

lljkk Thu 18-Nov-10 03:56:06

Um, no experience, but your post intrigued me... I had not heard of this before! My first thought was choking, not strangulation. The proponents claim that there's no risk of choking or strangulation or them coming loose, etc. There are plenty of testimonials on the Net for the efficacy and safety, if that's what you want to hear.

There are posts here explaining that amber needs to be heated to a temp of 185+ degrees C to get it to release volatiles, so the proposed mechanims for possible benefit seem rather unlikely.

Personally I'd save it for when she's about 7yo and she can wear it as a pretty item to show off to her friends. I wouldn't take a chance on using it on one so young. Teething isn't that bad, ime.

LaTristesse Thu 18-Nov-10 07:24:42

We take ours off at night. And DS has had 4 teeth come through with no bother at all since using it - they get our vote!

5DollarShake Thu 18-Nov-10 07:27:48

Thanks. I've heard enough about them (even from completely skeptical types, and I count myself as one of these) to be confident of their efficacy - that's not my concern. And if they help with the discomfort of teething, that's good enough for me.

I'm not concerned with the beads coming loose - the one I have has each bead individually knotted onto the necklace, so they can't come loose.

5DollarShake Thu 18-Nov-10 12:11:52

Since a lot of teething pain happens at night and no reassurance is really forthcoming, I'm going to go with my gut and not use it. Too worried about strangulation.

craftynclothy Thu 18-Nov-10 12:58:01

They are designed to snap (hence why it's knotted between each bead so that you don't end up with loads of loose beads that baby can swallow).

What you can do is take it off and wrap it a few times round say a leg rather than round their neck. Keeps it in contact with their body but without the worry of being strangled.

Firawla Thu 18-Nov-10 17:05:25

I also heard u can wrap it on their leg @ night if worried about it on their neck, someone said wrap a couple of times round their ankle & cover with a sock over it? might be worth a try
i havent got one but thinking i will get it for my ds2 he is always suffering with teething so will be worth it even if just using in the day time?

5DollarShake Thu 18-Nov-10 18:19:53

Thanks - good suggestion. It seems a shame not to at least try it, if there's a safe way of doing so.

kgirl Fri 19-Nov-10 14:22:26

My DS(2) had one and now I'm using it for DD(22 weeks). I wrap it round their leg, just under the knee, so a sock will go over it. It then stays on day and night.

LuciLu123 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:32:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now