Talk

Advanced search

3 yr old hardly eating anymore

(6 Posts)
knomedeplum Wed 17-Nov-10 17:27:26

For about the last 2 months my DS is eing REALLY picky aout food - it's not even really about the actual food, usually as soon as I even start to say 'lunch is ready' he says 'i DON'T like it' - so he's often got no idea what it is.

Generally I'm calm about it, i know he won't starve, it's just a phase etc etc nut I'm starting to feel a it worried (and I'm getting really frustrated).

Today has been pretty normal:

breakfast - tiny (handful maybe) portion of shreddies
lunch - pasta and garlic bread (ate half the garlic bread (so half a small slice) and nothing else

Tea - leftover pasta from lunch (it used to be a favourite) - refused it, ate 3 blueberries and a sip of milk. He asked for toast but also didn't eat it.

Possibly had a snack at preschool but wouldn't tell me what it was.#

Refused snack of apple, raspeberries and blueberries.

So I'm just wondering if i should just keep serving up what we normally eat, make no fuss when he doesn't eat it and just hope he eventually starts eating normally again? Even if I serve up pizza or fish fingers - the response is pretty much the same. At most, he will take the tiniest of nibbles, proclaim 'I tried it!' and shove the plate away.

I do usually offer toast for tea if it's something he doesn't really like so I know he isn't hungry at bedtime (eg if we had something new that he may well not like or fish - as I know he's not that keen on it). But i don't usually do it if it's something he likes (because he used to eat it!).

I did tonight because it's so cold and he's barely eaten all day, not that it helped.

Any advice??

knomedeplum Wed 17-Nov-10 17:28:40

sorry bfing ds2 hence typos!

SkyBluePearl Wed 17-Nov-10 17:34:28

I like your idea of making no fuss and serving him what you eat - Im sure it will pass.

maxybrown Wed 17-Nov-10 17:35:25

ah my DS not eating now either lol! Today he has had.................a small potato cake - ta dah! grin and endless amounts of energy - goody! sorry no help whatsoever!!

Rollmops Wed 17-Nov-10 20:51:21

My DTs are the same at the moment; soon to reach the grand old age of 3 years, suddenly don't like anything. Without tasting/knowing/etc.
Am at wits endsad
They are both full of beans though and chomp on oranges/apples instead of proper food.
Will follow this thread....

maxybrown Wed 17-Nov-10 21:07:22

I spoke to doc tonight - he said they won;t need much at this age for energy! And just keep offering and make no fuss. Mind you I've been doing that for 2 years! he said his daughter was same and is still fussy now, will only eat very plain things!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: