Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to stop an 18month old biting?!

(2 Posts)
antfroggirl Wed 17-Nov-10 17:10:06

Hello I wondered if anyone would be able to give me some advice - my ds1 has just turned 18 months and has just realised he can get what he wants from other kids (toys etc.) or retaliate to me or my dh if he doesn't feel like he's getting his own way by biting.
I know this is supposed to be fairly normal developmentally (!) and so far he doesn't seem to do it unprovoked but I just wondered what tactics people have tried successfully to nip it in the bud. I'm due again in a couple of months and I'm a bit scared it's only going to make things worse and the next baby is really going to get it!
At the mo I'm trying the firmly telling him 'no' approach and he will usually kiss whoever it was he bit to say sorry. I thought 18 months was a bit young for time out/naughty step but I don't know if anyone has tried it successfully?
I'm also finding it hard to work out whether I'm being too paranoid about it, or not paranoid enough. Some mums have just shrugged off his biting and said it's to be expected and others have made out it's the worst thing in the entire universe.. help!

SkyBluePearl Wed 17-Nov-10 17:42:25

sounds like he gets attention after biting. can you make a huge fuss of the victim and calmly/quietly/quickly just put him straight into timeout in a buggy/car seat/quiet room - where ever suits. I think 18 months is fine for time out as long as they understand - my girls did but some toddlers wont. Lots of kids do bite/push but I chose not to accept the behaviour and to do something about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now