Talk

Advanced search

Expressing - how much??

(3 Posts)
AlexMi Sun 14-Nov-10 18:27:30

Can anyone help please??

I have been breastfeeding exclusively - now 2 weeks in and would like to start expressing so daddy can help with the last feed of the day.

I have no idea how much expressed milk I need to feed LO - can anyone tell me?

Thanks

cupofcoffee Sun 14-Nov-10 21:58:01

Hi,

I didn't start expressed milk with any of mine so early on so not sure of any great advice myself but just wanted to point you in the direction of the breast and bottle feeding board where there are lots of people with some good breastfeeding advice around.

Also You might find some useful pointers here

fireblademum Sun 14-Nov-10 22:04:33

Hi i'd leave it a little longer before you start this. guidance is when bf is 'established' - whenever that is but i was told not before 6 weeks
kelleymom has good advice on quantities, but dont get too hung up on exact amounts, just give baby what they will take and you will discover this by trial and error. i would say from experience express about twice to feed once in the early stages of expressing as you will never manage to express as much as baby can take in one sitting - your LO is very efficient at extracting milk from you, also depends on how good the pump is that you are using. i started off with hospital pump (SCBU baby) and 6 months later am now back at work using a manual pump 4 times during the day (avent ISIS) to produce the milk for 3 feeds the following day. hope this helps a bit good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now