Talk

Advanced search

2 year old and wont play or do anything to be honest

(5 Posts)
Stitch230204 Sat 13-Nov-10 15:12:37

Im having real problems with my 2 year old. She is 3 in January and she is driving us to our wits end. Ive been reading up on behaviour and understand that she is having tantrums etc however she wont do anything and i mean anything. We have two toy boxes for her, ive sorted them into one for blocks and one for other toys she wont touch them. We have tried bringing toys into the lounge ourselves and tried interacting with her and all she says is "mummy will do it" "daddy will do it". We have tried different activity times during the day such as painting time, colouring time, toy time, puzzle time, making time etc and nothing. She always wants us to "play" for her. I have invited neighbours children round to play with her and family and friends and all she does is stand there and watch them. We take her to the park to interact with other children, she does the same again. She wont try and play on the toys in the park, we lift her onto the swings slide etc and we just get a tantrum and "i want teddy!". We havent got her in nursery yet as we cant afford it however she does start in April 2011. But what to do until then?? All she wants is her teddy and to sit in the middle of her room and listen to her cds.

This has been going on for a good few months now but it was never this bad, she used to have favourite toys. I even alternate her toys, books etc so she has variety but no success. Help!!

pippop1 Sat 13-Nov-10 16:01:41

I would have her hearing and sight tested as a starting point. Perhaps things are difficult for her in some way?

Ineedsomesleep Sat 13-Nov-10 16:03:59

Agree with pippop1, there may be a simple solution. Would also have a word with your HV too and ask her to see your DD.

Stitch230204 Sat 13-Nov-10 16:47:08

The last time we had her hearing and sight tested was about a year ago. It was all fine then but will definately check again thank you. Seeing HV in a couple of days so will ask her also. Thank you.

ShanahansRevenge Sun 14-Nov-10 00:03:38

Well now my oldest DD was a bit like this...she is 6 now and still doesn;t play with toys...she draws and does her hair! Although she does love gymnastics and drama...Thats it really...have your tried just putting stuff on the floor for her and not saying/doing anything?

I suggest, a selection of pots, bowls and spoons....and some containers of dried pasta and lentils or rice...leave it there...put it on a plastic mat or cloth to make it easy to clean up.

Some kids like grown up things better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now