Talk

Advanced search

Bed wetting at nearly 6?

(12 Posts)
Treacle44 Sat 13-Nov-10 10:33:47

Hiya I've been a member for years but haven't posted much. Will be much more regularly now though if that's ok.

My DS potty trained quite late, at around 3.5 and we had issues with him in reception with wetting at school because he was holding on it. We've resolved this now but despite trying several times, he's still not dry at night bless him.

He's getting very conscious of the fact now and doesn't want to wear a nappy at night but the longest he's gone is until about 4am. He's just such a deep sleeper that despite trying several things such as cutting out drinks after 6pm, waking him for a wee, lifting him half asleep etc, it's just not working.

We're seeing a bed wetting nurse next week and hope we can try something else, perhaps an alarm or something.

I just wondered how others have cracked it and what to expect when we see the nurse?

Thanks

biglips Sat 13-Nov-10 10:38:46

hes too young for you to start worrying just yet as wait till hes 7 and then go from there. Youre doing just fine.

colditz Sat 13-Nov-10 10:39:47

Ds1 stopped wetting the bed when he was 7.4, and he's been dry for 4 months now - reliably.

he was a deep sleeper too.

LouMacca Sat 13-Nov-10 10:54:14

My DS was still bed-wetting when he was 6. It made no difference when we cut out drinks or when we lifted him at night.

He just suddenly stopped when we was around 7.2 mnths and has been dry for the last 8 months. My DS could sleep on a washing line, I would love to be able to sleep like him! smile

deaddei Sat 13-Nov-10 15:35:15

Ds wet the bed till he was 10.
He wasn't drinking enough water and exercising his bladder- nurse suggested keeping a big chart which we did- and it worked.

Roo83 Sun 14-Nov-10 07:42:49

Could you try increasing his daytime drinks? My ds is younger, started bedwetting after being dry at night. Increasing his fluids in the day really helped-theory is it stretches the bladder so they have a larger capacity

onimolap Sun 14-Nov-10 08:05:14

Try not to worry!

Sources vary, but roughly 1 in 10 children aged 7 are wet at night, and 1 in 30 aged 10. For most children, there is no cause, it's just their developmental rate.

That doesn't help you much (other than to reassure you that you're far from alone).

You could try restricting drinks in the evening, or taking him for a wee when you go to bed (doesn't "train" as such, but a late emptying may leave capacity to manage until morning and the psychological boost might be nice).

At some stage the pull-ups will have to come off. That in itself might have a positive effect (as it will all feel different). Make sure you have at least 2 really good mattress protectors before trying this.

Final thought: it runs in families. Do you have a MIL you can interrogate about what DH was like?

Ishtar2410 Sun 14-Nov-10 08:26:04

DD is still wet at night - she's 6 next month. She is very reluctant to take off the pull ups, but we are working towards that now.

She was always a heavy wetter at night and is a very deep sleeper. We tried lifting her and restricting drinks, but it didn't work.

She was difficult to toilet train too, and until this school year regularly came home with her wet knickers in a bag.

I recently found out that a weak bladder runs in my family and only affects the girls, so I think that might be the root of the problem.

WinkyWinkola Sun 14-Nov-10 11:43:31

My ds is 5.5 and still wets the bed.

He has, however, had two dry nights since I took him out of night nappies ten days ago.

I'm using the dry nites bed mats instead of nappies. I put a potty by his bed to encourage him to get out of bed and wee in that instead.

I layer them - bed mat, sheet, bed mat, sheet, bed mat, sheet so that the nights aren't too disrupted and I can just peel off the wet offending article quickly to reveal the next layer. By having a bed mat on first though, we've not had to peel away other sheets yet. A royal pain when it comes to changing the bed mind!

He doesn't seem to like the wet bed mat and is perhaps starting to register the need to go for a wee in the night.

didgeridoo Sun 14-Nov-10 14:37:33

I wet the bed until I was 12. MY friend's dd is 11 & still bedwetting. It's more common than you think & children just grow out if it eventually. I know my friend has tried everything with her dd as my parents did with me but I agree with onimolap that it's a developmental thing.

allbie Sun 14-Nov-10 21:19:47

It runs in our family and DS1 was 15 when it just stopped overnight, literally....thankgoodness! And DD2 was 8! Our others stopped at 2 and 3. It was something that just happened and we never lifted or restricted/unrestricted drinks. They were all treated the same and time was the only answer. We also never made a fuss and kept it all low key especially for DS1.

Jas Sun 14-Nov-10 21:30:14

DD2 is 10 and still has accidents. We've never done anything except change beds and wash. No fuss at all.

DS is 4 and still in night nappies, although I am fairly sure he doesn't wet until just as he is waking up in the mornings. He won't let me put a nappy on him, so I do it when I go to bed while he is asleep. Nothing wakes him up(wjicj is obviously a contributing factor)!

My brother was at least 7 or 8 before he was dry at night, and dp was a teenager, so our genes have alot to answer for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now