Talk

Advanced search

6 month old becoming a bit precious?

(6 Posts)
Jayfer Wed 10-Nov-10 21:23:57

My DS is a very smiley contented baby but recently has started becoming extremely distressed at the oddest thing. Sudden noises like sneezes or coughing can make him cry like there's no tomorrow and trying to shake a bin bag open causes some sort of apoplexy. We recently visited a relative with a dog, he's been many times before but this time he became extremely distressed at the sight of the dog (went ridged in my arms and couldn't take his eyes off her as well as crying quite a bit). As he's getting older he is becoming more aware of things and I wondered if it is just a phase. It also happens when he is tired or a bit zoned out (which I can understand). But some days I can sneeze (for instance) and he can be fine, other days it will cause an extreme reaction. I'm conscious of him not becoming too precious and wimpy. Both DH and I were shy, nervous children and we don't want DS to be the same.

Anyone in the same situation? How would you deal with it? I'm trying to be careful by not reacting too much when he freaks out (try distraction) so it doesn't become an issue. I don't want to have to go in the garage if I want to change the bin!!

SenoraPostrophe Wed 10-Nov-10 21:27:04

Babies go through phases like this. Just reassure him as best you can.

It will not affect his future personality, and doesn't mean he's wimpy, really, don't worry about that. but at the same time I wouldn't particularly avoid loud noises.

CommanderDrool Wed 10-Nov-10 21:30:10

The best way to make him a confident child is to respond to his feeling with sympathy and comfort but don't shy away from new experiences for him.

He will go through separation anxiety at times and this is normal and nothing to worry about.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 10-Nov-10 21:30:59

it's a phase. I wouldn't worry. My 1 year old currently bursts into tears whenever Grandpa shrinks in 'Grandpa in My Pocket' and when the shapes appear in 'Mr Maker' on CBeebies. I am confident he'll grow out of it (but if not we'll just have to avoid shrinking people and giant walking shapes).

Panzee Wed 10-Nov-10 21:31:27

My son jumps when someone blows their nose. If I see him react to an unusual noise I'll laugh and he is usually reassured. Maybe this can help?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 10-Nov-10 21:35:05

6m is iirc correctly a notorious clingy phase.

It's very early to be perceiving personality traits in a baby imho

You do right to not make a fuss or change your behaviour.

My limited experience would say...watch him for your cue as to how to react.

If he recovers quickly (or with a little distraction) just ignore the "event".

If he is genuinly upset comfort him. Imo you need to show empathy even if you woouldn't have been upset yourself. It's imporstant for emotional intelligence.
smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: