Talk

Advanced search

Quick question re reward charts...

(4 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Nov-10 15:41:06

Have just started one for DS if he goes to bed well and sleeps all night and today he got his first star <proud emoticon> grin

But, so as not to be too optimistic, if he doesn't manage it tonight do I take off a sticker or just not give him one?

Thanks!

bubby64 Mon 08-Nov-10 15:52:42

Hi. Taking away things does not work, just dont give him one and explain why. Work out with him what reward you will give t the end of the week/ month or whatever period you have set if he achieves his goal, and, if neccesary, work out smaller rewards for getting 5 out of 7 nights or 6 out of 7, whatever you feel is acceptable. The point of reward charts is encoraging good behaviour, and not to punish bad. I wish it still worked with 10yr olds!Bubby x

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Nov-10 15:57:15

Thanks! Have given him a chart with 5 blocks and when he gets 5 stars he gets a car, then 10 he gets an ice cream and then 15 he gets a book (only things I could draw on homemade chart!). He is only 2 so don't think he could pick one himself really. Not sure if he fully understands it but we're trying!

purplepidjin Mon 08-Nov-10 21:54:34

I agree with above, he earned yesterday's star for going to bed well yesterday. He hasn't taken that back, so you don't need to take his star!

If he doesn't earn it, make sure he knows he can still get one tomorrow; that it's still possible to earn his car.

Might I suggest buying a multipack of cars, then when he earns 5 he can choose one - and see all the rest waiting for him to earn them <teehee>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now