Talk

Advanced search

DS age 5 frightened of fireworks, cats, ducks...is this normal?

(12 Posts)
Pages Sat 06-Nov-10 20:00:15

DH has just had a go at him (and me) - apparently it's because I am too soft with him. He is only 5 - surely it's okay to be afraid of things? DS has quite a big imagination and I think that's part of it - he told me he thought the fireworks were going to land on him. I just don't think shouting at a 5 year old because they are frightened of fireworks (or anything for that matter) is right. How would you deal with this?

choufleur Sat 06-Nov-10 20:01:11

What do you do when he is scared of something?

BooBooGlass Sat 06-Nov-10 20:02:18

Honestly? You comfort your son and get rid of the prick dh. How dare he act that way towards your son angry

Pages Sat 06-Nov-10 20:04:25

Just comfort him really and try and reassure him there is nothing to be scared of, but I usually remove him from the thing he is frightened of.

Pages Sat 06-Nov-10 20:44:39

Boo Boo - I do feel angry with him. He is a very loving dad usually, and has never criticised my parenting before so this has suprised me a bit.

NoahAndTheWhale Sat 06-Nov-10 20:46:52

DD is 5 and not happy with fireworks. Better than she used to be but still concerned they will land on her. Also really not sure about dogs, although has got a bit better recently.

I do feel inwardly frustrated sometimes but try really really hard not to let it show.

She used to be a lot more anxious about a lot more things and I have found the patient route works rather better.

CatIsSleepy Sat 06-Nov-10 20:50:13

Loads of kids are scared of fireworks. He won't be scared when he's older.No point your dh shouting at him!

dd1 (4) is scared of dogs and cats. The dog thing is worse really, turns every trip to the park into an event fraught with potential trauma but what can you do? reassure them, keep calm about it and hope it passes!

she used to hate fireworks too btw

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 06-Nov-10 20:52:30

Message withdrawn

Pages Sat 06-Nov-10 21:00:38

This is all really helpful, thanks.

Bink Sat 06-Nov-10 21:07:43

Fireworks totally sensible fear!
Also dogs. Cats, if a bad experience, I can see. Ducks? - does he not like the idea of big birds flying near him? If so, that's quite logical too.

My ds has (& has since a toddler, he's 11 now) a real morbid horror of ... snails. I don't think that's quite ordinary, but we've decided to sort of roll with it, because it's very deep-seated. It doesn't affect life too badly, though it pops up more often than you might expect.

Is your ds being scared of anything that 'illogical'? That is more of an issue, I'd say.

thighsmadeofcheddar Sat 06-Nov-10 21:11:20

DD 4yrs is petrified of fireworks, small dogs (not large ones??), drills, the bin men... a number of other strange things, mostly NOISE related.

We just gently keep coaxing her along and she's slowly getting better. Used to hate the lawn mower, now will happily pretend mow next to DH. Small steps.

Pages Sun 07-Nov-10 08:09:57

Yes, all his fears have a logical basis. The ducks crowd round us hungrily and make a lot of noise so I could see it could be scary. A goose tried to snatch a sandwich out of his hand when he was very small and a dog did the same with a biscuit. He is better with dogs now as I have slowly introduced him to them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: