Talk

Advanced search

My son doesn't want to read with me

(8 Posts)
Grumblestiltskin Wed 03-Nov-10 10:31:30

My two year old is just not interested in sitting down with me and reading a book. He will happily sit down with my partner with quite a long book but refuses to read even a short one with me.

I am currently home educating my six year old as we were unable to get him into a good school. I taught him how to read and he loves reading. I don't understand where I'm going wrong with my youngest.

I feel like I’m missing out when I see my partner reading with him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

piscesmoon Wed 03-Nov-10 10:48:35

Is he sensing that you have a hidden agenda i.e. that you want to teach him to read?
DCs are quick to pick up things that are not said. Are you trying to make it too worthy and serious? I would try a funny book with lots of bits that he could join in and do funny voices etc and get him hooked.

Jux Wed 03-Nov-10 14:58:44

I read to dd in the bath and that would carry over into bedtime stories where we would cuddle up and I would mark the line I was on with my finger if she wanted to follow the writing rather than look at the pictures. That's how she learnt to read.

I still read to her in the bath (and quite often in bed too).

I wouldn't worry about 'teaching' him to read. Just read to him and if he's in the bath he's a captive audience isn't he?

FreudianSlimmery Wed 03-Nov-10 15:00:59

I may be way out of line here, sorry if so, but any chance he's a bit jealous of your older dc? Getting more of mummys time due to the homeschooling? Just a thought.

piscesmoon Wed 03-Nov-10 15:16:07

Maybe it is the opposite-he has seen the homeschooling and doesn't want it. I would try at bedtime-they are usual keen to put off going to sleep.

JamieLeeCurtis Wed 03-Nov-10 18:03:53

I appreciate it may be a bit hurtful, but it's not doing your DS any harm. It may simply be that he's going through a phase of preferring his dad. And it's really good that his dad has the time and inclination. Many children (one of mine included), go through a phase of preferring one parent over the other. It will pass

This isn't really about reading because he will learn to read, it's about your feeling hurt that he is rejecting doing something with you which you value. I think.

Grumblestiltskin Tue 09-Nov-10 15:06:03

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Sorry for not replying earlier. I don't think he's jealous of the home schooling and I'm not trying to teach him to read. I just want to be able to sit down and read a short book to him. He just seems to not be interested and is more eager in jumping up and down. Even my six year is able to read to him.

I'm going to try your idea picesmoon, and see if he's more interested at bed time. Thank you again everyone.

SkyBluePearl Tue 09-Nov-10 15:25:02

Are you being silly enough while reading? Is there a best 'calm' time to read to him? Also try giving him his milk and a nice snack while you read together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: