Talk

Advanced search

Dummies & age

(17 Posts)
messytimemum Sun 17-Oct-10 20:48:28

Hi everyone. Just saw the trailer for freak like me on bbc3 for the 18yr old who still uses a dummy, video here

It got me thinking, how many others are still using dummies into their teens? I know my DD will probably still have hers, she'll be 9 soon! still has a bottle on ocassion too. Has never been one to grow up quickly, and we've never really encouraged her to give them up blush

Anyone else got a child that still uses a dummy past the socially acceptable age? Have seen quite a few on my travels, seems to be more common now, than 10yrs ago.

DoraBelvedon Sun 17-Oct-10 20:53:29

no diferent from sucking a thumb i suppose. who cares.

Theincrediblesulk1 Sun 17-Oct-10 21:00:15

Throw the bottles and dummy's AWAY!

dolphin13 Sun 17-Oct-10 21:23:44

Sorry I'm not usually judgemental but I really think you need to stop this. I completely support children not having to grow up to soon. Allowing her to use a dummy and a bottle at her age is stopping her from growing up in a healthy age appropriate way.

Think she will also get dreadfully bullied if her peers find out.

Galena Mon 18-Oct-10 11:43:54

That's a fascinating trailer. One thing that strikes me is that, whilst she says she sucks her dummy pretty much all the time, when she sucks it at the cafe she's really hiding it and looking very embarrassed in a way. She knows it's not socially acceptable but has never been taught to get comfort from any other sources.

Do you really want that for your daughter?

messytimemum Mon 18-Oct-10 18:22:51

Was thinking that myself Galena. Don't think that would like to see her like that.

Don't apologise dolphin13 we've been needing a swift kick for ages smile. Not that she has them all the time, she only has the bottle if she's really ill and asks for it, the same with the dummy, well that and bedtime, or if she's really upset, she'll go get it then come and cuddle up for ages as she did when she was a toddler.

We've thrown them away lots of times, but always give and buy more blush

Think santa might have to leave a very big present this year in exchange for the dummies and bottles.

withorwithoutyou Mon 18-Oct-10 18:28:49

That trailer looks like complete nonsense to me. As the comments say, probably some wannabe who is desperate to get on telly by any means.

Theincrediblesulk1 Tue 19-Oct-10 12:38:25

Messytimemum,

Think of it like this, have you ever given up fags? she has gone through the first few days after you have chucked them all out. Then you have gone back on it, causing her to go through the first (hardest) few days all over again. Its cruel! knock it off!

be cruel to be kind, i thought ds1 was late giving up the bottle and dummy at 18 months!

lyla123 Tue 26-Oct-10 00:39:17

I'm 17 and still have a dummy.

I gave it up at about 6, and have had a really difficult couple of years with illness, and a messy divorce. I brought one as a joke 2 years ago, and haven't stopped.
I'm dependant on it yes, but I would never tell my friends properly, and I am a very mature girl.

But how I look at it, to deal with the stress, I could have turned to drink/drugs/smoking.. But my dummy has been a saving grace.

As long as you look after your teeth, visit the dentist regularly and are truly in acceptance of who your are. I don't see a problem in it.

messytimemum Wed 27-Oct-10 22:57:28

Thats a good point lyla
When you put it like that, the dummy doesn't seem so bad well compared to drugs, etc.
Would much rather have a child with a dummy addiction than a drug addiction.

pigletmania Wed 27-Oct-10 23:32:55

I am shock at the video.

sparkle1977 Thu 28-Oct-10 14:27:57

Sorry but is this all for real ?? Dummies and bottles at nine years of age ??

Dummies and divorces at 17 years of age ?

Holy moses... shock

lyla123 Wed 03-Nov-10 17:03:40

*divorces as in parents

Flowerbomb Thu 04-Nov-10 15:19:19

My DD aged 3 still has a dummy at night and a bottle morning and evening, is that wrong then? What should I do re the bottle, just stop the milk?

messytimemum Sat 06-Nov-10 20:55:32

Hi Flowerbomb. I'm not the best to give advice but as long as you're happy and your DD is happy, then would leave her with it. As long as she isn't using them all the time and her teeth are ok, then would leave her be.

Pod1 Sat 13-Nov-10 08:02:08

Hi flowerbomb. We're currently tackling the dummy with our 3 year old and it's hard. The bottle was much easier. A couple of months ago the teat ripped so I explained that it was broken so she would need to use her cup instead. Had already paved the way by getting her a cow print cup. Now she's happy to have milk in her 'moo cow cup'. Also found those magic straws that make milk taste of strawberry or chocolate are good for in the morning as they won't work with a bottle. Good luck!

Latootle Sat 13-Nov-10 16:01:54

i have posted this before but it did seem to work, trying normally to rid grandson of dummy was a non starter. then a friend told my daughter, you have to have a calm chat with said child about all the very poor babies/children who cant afford a dummy so guess what this week on (what ever night you choose) the stork is coming to collect all the spare dummies and we have to put them in a pretty bag Yes you ha!!ve to go and choose one together, and hang them on the tree/bush and he will give you a present of your choice if you give up all your dummies. You do have to be prepared within reason to get the asked for present.!!!!! but it works.DO NOT give in and buy more dummies. good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now