Talk

Advanced search

8 week old baby rolling eyes/moving them fast side to side

(9 Posts)
suwoo Fri 17-Sep-10 13:46:30

My friend is here with her 8 week old, and I have noticed that she is moving her eyes rapidly from side to side and rolling them a bit. I've not seen this before with mine, and haven't read anything about it on here about it. My friend wanted me to ask.

Ta

Grainger Fri 17-Sep-10 13:55:32

My son did that a bit when he was falling asleep when he was tiny, so she may just be drifting off to sleep (or possibly trying to focus when she has woken up)

If it carries on though your friend might want to get it looked at?

CaptainNancy Fri 17-Sep-10 14:09:02

My dd used to do this when bf and falling asleep.
She had a GA last week, and I was there when they put her out, and she still did it.
If the mum is concerned, I'm sure HV or someone like GP will put her mind at rest.

Babies are odd little creatures! grin

MollysChambers Fri 17-Sep-10 14:12:07

Does she do this often or just now and again?

suwoo Fri 17-Sep-10 14:20:58

Hi this is the Mum here... she doesn't do it often just now and again, I have fed her and she isn't doing it anymore just concerned as to what it could be?

MollysChambers Fri 17-Sep-10 14:32:11

Hi,

If it's just now and again then I'm not sure what it could be (if anything at all). The reason I asked is that I've known a few children with nystagmus or "wobbly eyes". If she doesn't do it all the time then I wouldn't imagine it's that. Mention it to your health visitor for peace of mind though (or your GP). They'll be happy to help.

CaptainNancy Fri 17-Sep-10 14:43:03

Hi 'TheMum' smile - I would mention it to a health professional then. I hope it's nothing to worry about - enjoy your new baby! <<sighs wistfully>>

suwoo Fri 17-Sep-10 14:45:47

She's gone now, I've googled nystagmus and it sounds like the same type of movements but she has only done it once more since the first time I saw it. It was lasting about 5 minutes but not continuously, just on and off and she stopped when she had a bottle.

Have suggested my friend rings the HV or pops to the Dr and mentions nystagmus for their contemplation.

MollysChambers Fri 17-Sep-10 14:49:03

Sorry I wanted to mention it without being alarmist as that's what sprang to mind when reading the OP. Really hope it's nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now