Talk

Advanced search

Constipated DD (18mo) in pain :-(

(13 Posts)
LeslieWinkle Fri 27-Aug-10 13:12:46

My 18mo DD is suffering with constipation. She first suffered when she was 6mo and just started weaning onto food, it turned out that once I cut out baby rice she was fine again. Not had any other problems until this week.

At the beginning of the week we had a short episode where she was screaming in pain, pointing at her nappy and sweating with the strain of pushing. I still had some of the glycerol suppositories from when she saw the doc at 6mo and this cleared things straight away.
I didn't give it much thought and just thoght it was an odd 'one off' situation.

Today though she has been just the same, screaming in pain and she hasn't been able to pass it, just a few tiny 'rabbit pellets' IYSWIM. I've given her some lactulose and some apricot and she has gone down for her nap. I'm hoping when I get her up that she will have something in her nappy for me [wink} but if she doesn't what should I do??

How long can I leave her constipated before I see a doc? I don't want her to suffer all over the weekend, she looked like she was in so much pain.

I've just googled past threads on constipation and it looks like bananas and weetabix are things I should cut out to revent it happening again, is there anything else to avoid?

Rolo Fri 27-Aug-10 13:35:23

Poor little thing. My DD hasn't suffered as much as yours, but I do find that a little bit of apple or pear juice, or a handful of soft fruit seems to get her going if things are a bit of a struggle. And making sure she has plenty of liquid too. Hope this helps.

Poohbearsmom Fri 27-Aug-10 13:41:00

Hi, sorry your lo is so sore iv been through it with both my boys and my g.p told me to avoid giving chedder cheese, chocolate and petti folous and to give loads of fluids. She also said to give stewed apple with a good spoon of sugar as the sugar will actually help and she also said giving a bottle of cooled boiled water with sugar in it. I had been limiting sugar so it was wierd to do the opposite but it def helped... Your dd sounds like she might have an anal fissure (painful little cut caused by the hard stool and straining) it might help to put a little vasaline on her bum at the opening to lubricated a bit iykwim... Poor lo I hope she feed

Poohbearsmom Fri 27-Aug-10 13:44:24

Premature posting blush ment to say hope she feels better soon x

Marjee Fri 27-Aug-10 13:44:58

Bless her sad. My ds is 9mo and hasn't suffered to that extent but I find that he tends to get a bit constipated if he hasn't had much water to drink. Lactulose works much better if you drink plenty when you're taking it so thats worth remembering.
Another thing to try is prunes, I puree them and mix with yoghurt or fromage frais for ds if hes having trouble pooing, that always gets a good result wink

LeslieWinkle Fri 27-Aug-10 14:01:43

Thanks guys,she has now passed a hard poop so hopefully she is not bunged up any more. I think I will cut out her weetabix, bananas, increase her apples (she already has lots of strawberries/blueberries each day).

She always has bottle of water hanging around so she can drink whenever she wants so
I'll actively encourage her to drink more. I'm really hoping this is going to be a weird one off thing, its too upsetting to watch her in pain. She kept pointing at her nappy and saying 'pease mummy, pease' sad sad.

Seska Fri 27-Aug-10 17:47:08

I sympathise SO much. I have twins, now aged 2 and my daughter had this TERRIBLY. We took her to A&E one night as she was so bad.

She was prescribed Movicol - it's a powder you dissolve in water (we added a little juice as it tastes a bit odd by itself) and it REALLY REALLY helped. It takes a day or so to get into the system and at first we were giving her it every day. As she has become more active her problem has receded a lot as she is, quite literally, running around and "mushing up" everything in her tummy (sorry to be so... basic.. but it explains it!). She does however, still get it occasionally and we just give her a sachet for a day or two and she's fine again.

I cannot advocate anything we have ever given either of our children more than Movicol. They have had all sorts of illnesses, including chickenpox and all kinds of medicine, but Movicol was a true life saver - for her, to rid her of the pain and fear and for us, as it's HORRIBLE watching them.

I'd say ask your GP if you can have some, even if he/she only says to give her it for a short time. My main fear was that my daughter would grow fearful of passing stools and build up a complex about it which would just make it a cyclical thing.

Trust me, she is now a perfectly happy, incredibly poopy little thing and it WILL pass.

x

santander Sat 28-Aug-10 22:31:20

Does anyone know anyone who has got Movicol for an under two then? My dd is 16 months and the gp wont give it to her. She's on glycerol suppositories at the moment

Seska Wed 01-Sep-10 10:21:50

I'm a bit surprised by your GP, although I know each one is different. My daughter was 18 months when she was given it, although this was after quite a long period of trying lactulose every day which hardly helped.

I obviously don't know anywhere near as much as a GP so can't criticise him/her. The initial plan was to give my daughter it for a couple of weeks only as they didn't want her body to become dependent on it, she had to learn herself to break down solids and pass it. However, as soon as we stopped, she regressed back to problems and the GP extended the use for a good few months. We now have some in but haven't had to give her it for at least a couple of months. Occasionally we will give her one sachet if she seems to be "hardening" again but that's it.

I don't really know what else to suggest apart from asking your GP again for the reason he/she won't give Movicol now.

Latootle Sun 19-Sep-10 18:46:57

brown sugar is the answer I believe it was what we were advised to give constipated babies. also HIP do an organic apple and blueberry pudding.

zapostrophe Sun 19-Sep-10 19:00:02

Message withdrawn

DeathByStereo Sun 19-Sep-10 19:11:48

My GP advised me to stop Weetabix when my DS was constipated at that age.

notcitrus Sun 19-Sep-10 19:45:41

Ds has suffered since Christmas, and been on Lactulose most of that time (we're now trying without, with just at least 3 Innocent fruit tubes a day plus lots of water/juice), and half a dozen suppositories.

Saw the GP a couple months ago and a new NICE guide to constipation in toddlers had just come out which she showed me, and Movicol is now the no.1 recommendation, with lactulose the second choice, but we kept with lactulose as ds actually liked it. So worth asking GP about that?

We were told to persist with getting fruit and veg into him, but the key thing was fluid, at least 250ml/day.

It seemed to be getting loads better (just grunting for 30 min per poo), but then he had a screaming fit for 2 hours in the middle of the night for the first time in months, of course while we were away from home without suppositories. I have never been so glad to get a turd in my hand at 5am - afterwards he just giggled, said 'grobag' and went to sleep...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now