Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Almost 2 yo seems to get upset over lost babyhood?!

(4 Posts)
MrsSawdust Mon 19-Jul-10 22:35:08

My dd, who will turn 2 next month, is getting upset for reasons that I would have thought are beyond her comprehension.

Example: We were playing / messing about together and I was holding her in my arms like a very young baby, rocking her and saying "tiny baby!" She was giggling and having fun, but when I stopped and sat her up she said "Do tiny baby again" so I did. But this time, as soon as I put her into tiny baby position, she looked up into my eyes, her bottom lip started to quiver, her eyes filled up and then she was sobbing uncontrollably and clinging on to me like I was about to leave her forever sad. It took a good 10 mins to settle her down.

Another example: we were learning a new song, and at the start the actions had me cuddling her into me and cradling her head. She kept asking me to do it again and would start whimpering when we did this particular line and action. Every time we did it she got more upset. But she insisted she wanted to do it again and again. Obviously I had to stop because it was upsetting her so much.

Is this normal behaviour for her age?

funnysinthegarden Mon 19-Jul-10 22:38:31

DS who is 4 and has recently become a big brother, really really wants to be 3 again. He is about to start big school and is pining after his lost babyhood.

Just enjoy her being a baby again, she'll be fine

deepdarkwood Mon 19-Jul-10 22:43:59

Ahhhh, bless her smile
ds (6) and dd (4) both love pretending to be babies still (cuddling up, being coochy-cooed over, being carried like a baby) - dd has in the past got a bit sniffy about it, and ds tends to get slightly melancolic/enjoy the sadness of no longer being a baby.
I think it's a way of allowing themselves to be helpless/safely mothered, whilst knowing they are growing up.

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 19-Jul-10 22:51:17

My DD (2.10) loves to hear about things she did or said or had "when I was a tiny baby" even though some of them weren't really that long ago. It seems to comfort her. She's currently going through a phase of "I'm a big girl, not a baby" but will then go back to baby talking and saying "I'm just tiny" etc. I find it quite interesting and totally, totally baffling. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now