Talk

Advanced search

Why has my 5yr old wet himself 4 times this week?

(26 Posts)
Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:14:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

koalabear Fri 19-Aug-05 15:15:34

has he got a urinary infection?

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:16:28

hercules Fri 19-Aug-05 15:16:37

Maybe the change in place affected him without him realising it. I wouldnt of thought it would be something he can control when sleeping so probably best just to clean it up and not be cross. I expect it will pass.

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:17:24

koalabear Fri 19-Aug-05 15:17:53

usually burning sensation when peeing, but that could cause him not to want to pee, and then it build up so much that he can't control it

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:15

Twiglett Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:17

for attention?

wht happens when he does it?

personally I'd make him take his own clothes off, put them in the washing basket, wash himself, get himself new clothes, get dressed and clean up any mess on the floor (baby wipes good for this if you have) .. and do it all calmly and matter-of-factly in an 'oh dear, well now you need to....' way , and do not allow any games / tv / distraction until its all been done

koalabear Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:29

jsut a thought - might not be relevant

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:35

Twiglett Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:42

oh and give him cranberry juice (diluted) for a few days too

hercules Fri 19-Aug-05 15:18:46

Perhaps it's a vicious circe ie he did it the once and the worry about doing it again has caused him to do it again iyswim.

hercules Fri 19-Aug-05 15:19:35

Oh, sorry. Then I agree with Twiglett, get him to clean it up.

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:21:59

motherinferior Fri 19-Aug-05 15:27:21

God knows - dd1, who's four and a half and has been using the loo for nearly two years, pooed in her pants this week. ARrrgggghhhhhh

Lio Fri 19-Aug-05 15:28:11

Hi Hausfrau, concerned to hear about this, sorry no advice but big hugs and love. Weird with the timing - I might have thought it was the change of environment, missing daddy etc, but since it happened before, during and after I'm not sure what to think

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:29:10

Twiglett Fri 19-Aug-05 15:32:17

Hausfrau .. me too .. when DS regressed at 3 I did every wrong thing in the book .. shouting, wheedling, getting annoyed .. it is so very frustrating isn't it? like they're doing it on purpose to wind you up

much much easier to give advice than do it I find

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:34:28

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:52:58

Pinotmum Fri 19-Aug-05 16:01:40

Just waved bye bye to dd's little friend who's 5.5 yo and has bene here this pm for a playdate. She wet herself here and her mother informed me she has been wetting herself at home this past week. She's stumped aswell.

Easy Fri 19-Aug-05 16:03:06

My ds (very nearly 6) has done this a couple of times at the childminders recently, both times when he's been playing outside with the other kids, and just can't be bothered to go in to the loo.

I made it quite clear, when it happened last time that I do not consider it acceptable. I took money from his jar, and once casually mentioned the possibility of putting him back in nappies, so everyone knows he is a baby. So we haven't had another occurrence in the last 3 weeks.

Oh, and I have taken to reminding him to go to the loo a couple of times a day. He does have a bladder like a camel, and I wondered if he just allowed himself to get to bursting point.

Hope this helps.

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 16:06:51

lemonice Fri 19-Aug-05 16:41:02

It sounds to me like he's learnt to hold on and is pushing that too far, just doesn't want to stop what he's doing ...

Mog Fri 19-Aug-05 17:38:16

My dd potty trained like a dream at 2.5, really no effort on my part and has been fine ever since. But the last few months - she's just over 4 now, she has started being 'late' for the toilet and so wetting her pants. It's very frustrating and never happened when she was at nursery. I put it down to her being more absorbed in activities now and forgetting to go and the reason she didn't do it at nursery is because she probably went to the toilet more often just to copy her friends.
I agree it is very frustrating, especially as she is starting school in September. I've got three pre-schoolers so I'm not very good at reminding her (can only just about remember to go myself ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now