Talk

Advanced search

Baking bread with a stand mixer...

(9 Posts)
sellotape12 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:46:39

Hi,
When you bake bread, do you use a stand mixer (you know, like a Kitchenaid or a Kenwood)? Or do you do it by hand only?

If you use a mixer, can you tell me what’s great about it? Also, why generally do you like baking bread? There must be something in it as you can buy it from the shops much faster 🤣

It’s a little work problem I’m asking about! Thanak

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 14-Feb-18 14:57:18

I knead by hand, always. I have only ever tried kneading in the mixer once, with a very wet, enriched dough and it worked, but the only advantage, as I could see, was that it was an extraordinarily sticky dough and I could never have answered the phone if it rang, or answer the door!

Kneading by hand is quite therapeutic, a particularly good way of letting off steam after a frazzled day. It is also lovely to see the results of your efforts (and what effort is it to use a mixer?).

As to why bake bread in the first place, well it is cheaper, for one. Furthermore you know what has gone in to it.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Wed 14-Feb-18 14:59:39

I make bread by hand. I make it as there are no shit additives. Just flour, water, yeast and salt.

SapphireChickenLover Wed 14-Feb-18 15:06:27

Husband makes bread, as shop bought gives him indigestion. Home made deoesnt.
He makes it much better using the mixer than by hand, it’s lighter, rises better, although he is experimenting with a little extra yeast. ( he uses the dried type)
The bread is altogether better using the mixer for us, he kneaded it for a long time previously but it just wasn’t as good.
Make sure sure you use good quality flour, strOMG bread flour, or extra strong for a slightly bouncier loaf. ( and don’t forget some salt, another one of his experiments! It needs salt ) 😀

justcallmemama Thu 15-Feb-18 16:51:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MincemeatTart Thu 15-Feb-18 17:52:07

I do both. I do a double load, start it off in the Kenwood until doughlike rather than a sticky mess then knead by hand.
Why? It tastes better, it’s relaxing to knead bread, it fills the house with lovely smells. You can put what you want in it.

MuffinMad Fri 16-Feb-18 09:29:53

I've been bread making for a while now. I have always used a stand mixer.

I usually make about 5-6 loaves in one session, keeps down the cost of heating the oven. I have lots of bread tins!
The bread freezes great. I make whatever I fancy, but usually standard loaf style for sandwiches and toast.

There are times when I have been caught short and bought bread from the supermarket and I think it's pretty bad. Once you've made your own and as someone above said,you know exactly what's in it,you'll never go back.
And it's very addictive! I still get great satisfaction from baking bread and still don't understand how something so simple can taste so delicious.
🙂

Sassybynature Tue 20-Feb-18 12:57:32

Could someone please post their foolproof bread recipe using a kitchenaid mixer for a complete novice? Step by step instructions as I am overwhelmed with all sorts of advice and now just confused.

MuffinMad Thu 22-Feb-18 19:32:37

Have a look at Hobbs House on YouTube.
It's called How to make bread with a Kitchen aid mixer, classic white loaf.
This is my fool proof recipe that I always use.

Try replacing the water with buttermilk, it's even nicer. Makes a lovely dark crust.

(One thing though...I bought an oven stone and didn't think it made any difference at all.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now