Talk

Advanced search

Breadmaker question

(37 Posts)
Nyx1 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:47:20

hi all
thinking about buying a breadmaker but wondering, if you freeze some of it for convenience, is it then only good for toasting? I generally find frozen bread isn't really great for sandwiches, only toast.

Not sure if fresh bread being frozen will be the same.

Thanks.

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 10:33:51

bump

VilootShesCute Thu 07-Dec-17 10:41:42

I love my breadnamer and tend to only use it for pizza dough and fresh bread but when I do freeze mine it's used as toast after. Which one were you thinking of getting? I have the cheapest of cheap from Tesco bought 10 years ago so doesn't make the best bread unfortunately. Would love a posh one smile

VilootShesCute Thu 07-Dec-17 10:42:06

Breadmaker not namer.

phoebemac Thu 07-Dec-17 10:48:43

I don't have a breadmaker, I use this recipe which makes fantastic bread which freezes well:

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/10/bake-your-own-bread

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:36:47

Thanks everyone
I can totally imagine giving each loaf a name grin

I was thinking to buy this one
www.argos.co.uk/product/5652374

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:37:46

phoebe, when you say it freezes well, does that mean you can make sarnies with it?

I don't know, maybe it's me, some of my friends think any defrosted bread is fine for sandwiches.

VilootShesCute Thu 07-Dec-17 11:39:47

I don't like to use defrosted bread for sandwiches sad

HeyMacWey Thu 07-Dec-17 11:40:21

I have a breadmaker and slice it before freezing and find it's generally only good for toasting, but rolls are fine for eating after freezing.

oneofthegiantsisme Thu 07-Dec-17 11:46:04

I'll second what Hey says - rolls are fine after eating. I use my breadmaker to make rolls for lunchboxes (easier than getting DC to slice fresh bread in the mornings) - and split them before they go into the freezer, so they just need filling in the morning.

oneofthegiantsisme Thu 07-Dec-17 11:46:48

Grrr - after freezing, I meant!

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:54:29

thanks
one of the reasons I'm keen to get one is my hatred for the supermarket though of course this time of year is particularly bad

I would like to go as rarely as possible and then I can mostly use the greengrocer (veggie household).

so if bread and rolls are easy to do, trips could maybe reduce to once a month or something. I have ordered a yogurt maker as well, yay.

oneofthegiantsisme Thu 07-Dec-17 12:01:39

I've had a Panasonic breadmaker for years. I can't remember the last time I bought bread, except when on holiday. I do still buy bagels, teacakes, crumpets, garlic baguettes though...

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:09:52

giant, yes, I know that comes highly recommended but way out of our price range, especially being new to this.

phoebemac Thu 07-Dec-17 12:44:12

Nyx1 I think it is OK for sandwiches after freezing, but obviously not quite as good as when fresh. I thik Hey's suggestion of rolls is a good one.

bluesu Thu 07-Dec-17 12:49:38

I bought a Panasonic a couple of days ago! Made a lovely loaf and am sat in waiting for a delivery of proper French bread flour (T55 dontcha know).

Also driven by my hatred of supermarkets around Xmas and my desire for fresh bread on Xmas day.

So easy to use I love it so far, not frozen any yet though!

Vitalogy Thu 07-Dec-17 12:54:17

Sorry can't help you with bread making question but when you say defrosted bread is no good for sandwiches, may I ask how you're defrosting it. In the Wintertime when the bread takes longer to defrost I put it out on the side, separate slices. In the Summer when It defrosts too fast I put the slices in a bag, it keeps the moisture in that way.

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:03:52

Vitalogy - each slice in a bag? (that sounds funny grin)

Vitalogy Thu 07-Dec-17 14:29:38

fgrin There's method in my madness. Well, I'm usually only getting about 4 slices max out at any one time, I'd put the 4 slices in one bag but if defrosting on counter top then those would be separate.

I know on other threads people saying about not freezing bread because they don't like it, then having to chuck the rest away if it's not used up before it goes stale. I very rarely waste bread you see, well apart from the crusts fblush

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:09:08

Vita, yes, why waste it?

I just realised, if I get organised, I can take fresh bread to my parents over Christmas and they will be well happy! I'm having a vision of needing to make a few before it comes out right - or is it idiotproof?

So I better get one of these and hope it goes well. I have no idea what I'm doing so I will be relying on the recipes in the box.....Also tempted by the fastbake option immediately - is it just as nice on fastbake?

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:16:29

ooh wait, now think the Russell Hobbs might be better

<dithers>

HeyMacWey Fri 08-Dec-17 09:22:22

Have a look on eBay for virtually unused second hand Panasonic breadmakers. They're real workhorses and I've never had a bad loaf or dough from mine.

reetgood Fri 08-Dec-17 09:36:14

Panasonic is my recommendation too. I’ve had the same one for over 10 years, it’s easy to clean and very little to go wrong with it. The timer is brilliant: put the ingredients on that night, wake up to fresh bread. Follow the recipes exactly and you can’t go wrong. I’ve occasionally had brick loaves but that’s either where I’ve misread the amount of water to add or the yeast had been open too long. Love my bread maker!

BonnesVacances Fri 08-Dec-17 09:41:48

Honestly, it's cheaper in the long run just to go for the Panasonic. I've had a couple of other ones but the bread from the Panasonic is far better. Look on ebay or Gumtree for one.

MuffinMad Fri 08-Dec-17 09:57:39

I've been making bread for quite a while now and I have found that bread from the freezer is just as good as when first made. Although I don't have a bread maker,I can't see how this would be any different...

I wait till the loaf has cooled right down then wrap in two layers of cling film. Then freeze.
When you need the bread, take it out but don't unwrap it till it's completely defrosted. Sometimes, if I already have my oven on,I put the loaf in for 10 minutes or so to get the crust all crispy again. You don't have to do this,just gives the loaf that 'fresh out the oven' feel.
I have never had a problem and the bread is very good and soft for making sandwiches.
HTH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: