Talk

Advanced search

Carrot cake emergency!

(12 Posts)
Whatwasthequestion Fri 01-Dec-17 12:16:23

Said I’d bake one for school Christmas fair tomorrow. Was feeling all pleased with myself for a chance to use little carrot decs which have been languishing in my cupboard. Until I notice my usual recipe says caster sugar and I’ve only got light brown...does it matter? Don’t want a public cake disaster blush

Abra1d Fri 01-Dec-17 12:18:37

It won’t matter but perhaps add a pinch or two of baking powder to add some extra lift as brown sugar seems heavier in mixtures Carrot cake is better if not too airy, IMHO. And I prefer the taste of brown sugar.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 01-Dec-17 12:18:53

Yeah I should think that would be fine, it might make it richer if anything.

Whatwasthequestion Fri 01-Dec-17 12:22:51

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear - thank you! Will add bit more bp- good tip.

IHeartDodo Fri 01-Dec-17 12:27:51

can also use honey

Vitalogy Fri 01-Dec-17 12:32:28

It'll be better I'd say. The recipe I use calls for light muscovado sugar and sunflower oil, makes it very moist.

WaitingTillJuly17 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:33:56

The recipe I use has light brown soft sugar in anyway so it should be fine. It’s the Hummingbird Bakery recipe and in my opinion the best one I’ve baked, everyone I make it for loves it. Happy baking!

LollaLaLuna Fri 01-Dec-17 12:37:35

No, actually brown or dark brown sugar is even better it gives nice rich flavour. I usually using rather brown sugar and it's also healthier then white one.

Whatwasthequestion Fri 01-Dec-17 16:14:43

Thanks everyone. As you’ve all said, worked well with light brown, smelled delish. Did a cream cheese frosting and adorned with sugar craft carrots...then dropped the sodding thing on the school steps angrysad Is it nearly wine o’clock??

Abra1d Fri 01-Dec-17 16:31:42

Never mind wine, we want 🥕 🍰!

Abra1d Fri 01-Dec-17 16:32:11

And don’t mind it being dropped.

Whatwasthequestion Fri 01-Dec-17 17:49:22

grinStarting to see the funny side a bit now wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now