Talk

Advanced search

White butter icing anybody?

(9 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 09-Nov-17 16:31:10

Anybody on here that knows me well enough, knows that I'm a reasonably competent baker and decorator of cakes, so I really should know this!

However, this is the first time I've done number cakes and rather than use my usual method of fondant icing, I thought I'd do butter icing all over. Fondant on a 6 and 5, just seems like a bit of a faff.

I want the cakes to be white to start with, before I do the decorations, but I don't know how to make it! I've whipped and whipped the icing, but it's still not lovely white. Recipes are suggesting a bit of milk. Do we agree? Or has anyone got any suggestions?

At the moment, I'm thinking a very pale lilac would be a damn sight easier! grin. Cakes shop shuts in an hour and I have to do the base icing tonight. I've run out of lilac/purple colouring, so if I have a response/suggestions within about 40 mins, that would help! grin

RunningHurts Thu 09-Nov-17 16:32:27

Yes, adding milk makes it white

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Nov-17 16:40:57

Jolly good! Thank you.

NannyR Thu 09-Nov-17 16:44:17

I've never tried this but I have read that if you substitute trex for the butter you can make bright white icing.

magicstar1 Thu 09-Nov-17 16:48:15

If you use real butter it's very hard to get pure white buttercream. American's use vegetable fat or a white butter which is the difference.
You can buy whitener ...like a white colouring, or a minute drop of violet counteracts the yellow of the butter and whitens it up.

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Nov-17 18:47:10

Thank you all. Milk certainly made it whiter and it's fine. All the decorations are purples, so a slight yellow is fine. I can't imagine using Trex, which seems to be pure fat to me. Daft, because that's what butter is anyway!

SloanePeterson Thu 09-Nov-17 18:49:18

A little late, but I think the type of butter used makes a huge difference. I use Waitrose essential unsalted butter for my buttercream and everyone comments on how white it is, I didn't realise how unusual that is. When I've tried different butter it's definitely more yellow.

MyfatheristheKing Thu 09-Nov-17 18:50:40

I was taught to use Trex at college if you wanted it white

CatastropheKate Thu 09-Nov-17 18:53:29

You can use lard [mumsnet needs a puking smiley]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now