Talk

Advanced search

I've run out of sugar...what can I use instead?

(11 Posts)
halfbuffy Wed 08-Nov-17 20:50:36

I'm making a loaf cake and have enough sugar to go into it....so that's all done and in the oven, but I didn't realise that I had run out of sugar for the glaze...the two ingredients needed for the glaze are sugar and lemon juice.

I know I could go and get sugar but DD has just gone to bed it's cold outside/I'm lazy!

Could I make some sort of sticky glaze with golden syrup and lemon juice instead?

reetgood Wed 08-Nov-17 20:52:03

Yes, it will change the taste slightly but am sure will be nice. Don’t get the syrup too hot though, just warm gently until runny.

tigerdog Wed 08-Nov-17 20:52:34

Do you have icing sugar? At least one cake I make that has a glaze uses that instead of proper sugar.

StealthPolarBear Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:03

Do you have icing sugar

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:19

Yes, good plan! Or honey? Or some jam, apricot would work, warmed up in a pan till it's liquidy and then spread it over.

NamesNamesAndMoreNames Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:42

What about honey?

ILoveDolly Wed 08-Nov-17 20:54:45

I would use icing sugar.
Or failing that, honey. Although it might taste like a lozenge!

halfbuffy Wed 08-Nov-17 20:58:00

I don't have icing sugar either! I'm really unprepared, but when you get the urge to bake you just have to!

Ok so with the syrup glaze, after I've poked little holes into the loaf like it said to with the original glaze, would I add the syrup to the pan with the lemon juice, then warm it very gently and pour it over the loaf?

And would it set or just be lovely and sticky?

halfbuffy Wed 08-Nov-17 20:59:04

Oh and I don't have honey either blush

reetgood Wed 08-Nov-17 21:00:49

I would say very sticky smile like a golden syrup pudding!

halfbuffy Wed 08-Nov-17 21:03:45

Oh yeah that actually sounds great! Ok I’ll give that a go, I’ll report back with pictures when it’s all done!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: