Talk

Advanced search

Wheat free baking

(9 Posts)
Kobrakid Sun 05-Nov-17 11:34:41

Hi, we've been invited to a party for xmas, and the hosts son is allergic to wheat. We've recently been to their Halloween party and I took cupcakes and felt so guilty that he licked the icing off a bun and couldn't eat the actual cake.

I've never baked wheat free before so is it a matter of just changing the flour used? Or is it more complicated than that? Have been told it would be nice if I could bake again, but obviously would like the poor boy to be able to actually eat a cake this time.

Thank you

Modestandatinybitsexy Sun 05-Nov-17 12:14:27

Nigella’s lemon polenta or clementine cakes go down well.

I find baking with gluten free flour aren’t ever as nice but the above recipes use either almonds or polenta and come out lovely.

Kobrakid Sun 05-Nov-17 12:18:40

Thanks for those will give them a try

PurplePillowCase Sun 05-Nov-17 12:21:25

for cakes, gluten free/wheat free flour works fine. doves farm gluten free flour is good.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 05-Nov-17 12:52:51

I make these brownies but in a sandwich tin and stick together to make a cake. As we aren't vegan I use butter instead of the coconut oil so not quite as coconutty. I do it with eggs.

Agree orange or lemon polenta cake is lovely, also made orange and mashed potato cake - yummy. I find that more moist cakes work really well but drier cakes just become really dry. I would definitely find a specific recipe rather just substitute. You need to be very careful to make sure the equipment is really clean and there is no cross contamination.

millifiori Sun 05-Nov-17 12:56:09

You can make really lovely chocolate brownies using almond flour, cocoa, melted dark chocolate, vanilla essence, egg and pureed dates. they are chewy and moist and don't taste of dates.

LadyPenelope68 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:56:38

Try and find specific recipes as I’ve found using gluten free flour can be a bit hit and miss with some recipes. The clementine polenta cake mentioned above is gorgeous, and very Christmassy!

millifiori Sun 05-Nov-17 12:57:21

Also, look up Mary Berry's gluten free roulade. Bit fiddly and you need a swiss roll tin to bake it in but it's really delicious and you can take the berries out of the middle and add chocolate and marshmallows or fudge for a more child-friendly version.

Kobrakid Sun 05-Nov-17 20:22:25

Forgot all about this you're all brilliant thank you will look at these recipes and do a trial run winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now