Talk

Advanced search

Victoria sponge recipe different flavours & fillings?

(7 Posts)
realhousewife44 Thu 26-Oct-17 05:58:30

After quite a few attempts, I've really got the hang of a Mary Berry Victoria sponge recipe. The cakes come out really lovely every time. Is there anything I can do with the basic recipe to get different flavor combinations to expand my repertoire? Up to now I've just done jam & fresh cream or lemon curd and fresh cream. Could I adapt the recipe to make a chocolate version? Anything else I can add to the batter for a different flavour. What other fillings are nice?

picklemepopcorn Thu 26-Oct-17 07:04:16

Swap a table spoon of flour for cocoa
Fill with buttercream or fruit and fresh cream.
Lemon zest or oil in the batter, Vanilla buttercream, and lemon/sugar syrup drizzled over the top.
Coffee butter cream is lovely, in a chocolate cake or a vanilla cake with walnuts pressed into the buttercream.

Chocolate and cherry jam
Raspberry and cream

StatueInTheSky Thu 26-Oct-17 07:15:47

La Berry has a lovely recipe for an Orange Spiced Cake

it really is a nice cake.

Callmecordelia Thu 26-Oct-17 07:31:54

My copy of the Mary Berry Ultimate Cake Book has these variations on Victoria sandwich -

Orange - add grated orange zest, use marmalade. Lemon is done in the same way.

Coffee - add two heaped teaspoons instant coffee. I'd use espresso powder personally. Make coffee buttercream to fill.

Chocolate - dissolve 2 tablespoons cocoa in 3 tablespoons boiling water, cool slightly and add to mixture.

justforthisthread101 Thu 26-Oct-17 07:39:50

I replace 50g of the flour with ground almonds and a tsp of almond essence. Then for the filling I make almond buttercream and add raspberry jam. Voila! Bakewell Cake!

realhousewife44 Thu 26-Oct-17 17:56:01

Great suggestions, thanks all!

Taffeta Sun 29-Oct-17 19:26:56

Lemon and passion fruit curd is good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now