Talk

Advanced search

My first cake: a disaster yes?

(54 Posts)
Impostress99 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:43:22

Toddler turning 2.

I have a full time job and a ghastly commute.

Therefore I decided to bake him a bus station cake. To honour his bus obsession

I who has never baked before.

This disaster has unfolded. Please don’t comment on the scale. It is not to scale as you see gringrin

Either (1) 2 year old won’t mind this or (2) DH has go buy a Sainsbury’s cake.

Impostress99 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:44:24

Does it matter that the ducks and the people are about the same size?

Or that the wheels and the faces of passengers are similar sized?

Oh god.

teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:45:16

Well done!
Honestly as a first go it’s really good!
As you do more u will get better and I think he will be over the moon!

DearMrDilkington Wed 18-Oct-17 12:45:29

I like it

Sweetpotatoaddict Wed 18-Oct-17 12:47:44

I love it, impostress.
So will your 2 yr old, baked with love and a rare bit of mummy time!
Well done, cake

yantantethermetherpimp Wed 18-Oct-17 12:49:30

I LOVE it! So will your toddler.

Andtheresaw Wed 18-Oct-17 12:50:16

I like (and recognise )the bus. That alone will be lovely for him. The ducks are jolly but I don't understand the bus connection. I don't really know what the green hotdog thing at the right hand side next to the bus is, perhaps it would be clearer if I could read the writing (maybe a photo from that angle would help)

Honestly, he's 2: you've made him a lovely home made cake. He'll love it. It's a parenting win! As long as you used sugar not salt all will be well grin[

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 18-Oct-17 12:53:34

I love it
Your son will too
Honestly. Serve it with pride and enjoy the special day.

thisismadness77 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:54:27

Love it. Be proud!

KittyLover91 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:55:34

Well done you!

Dont beat yourself up, practice makes perfect! Its not like hes going to turn around and say "what the hell is this????"

I love baking but even im not brave enough to attempt to decorate a cake like this, frosting is about as far as i go haha!

haggisaggis Wed 18-Oct-17 12:55:53

I think it's great. I always resorted to buying cakes for my 2 so you're already ahead of me! (green hot dog is obviously a playground with a slide!)

ASDismynormality Wed 18-Oct-17 12:56:45

A two year old would love it, it's a great effort and I wouldn't replace it with a supermarket cake.

averylongtimeago Wed 18-Oct-17 12:59:36

That looks fantastic! It's a cake, not a scale model, your two year old will love it.

FlaviaAlbia Wed 18-Oct-17 13:02:04

I was expecting a cake wrecks disaster, that's absolutely fine! Your DS will think that's the best cake on the world smile

I tried to do a fire engine with red butter icing for my DS's 2nd birthday. After putting 1 tube and 1 bottle of red food coloring in it I gave up and he got a pink fire engine. He thought it was a bin lorry and loved it grin

noblegiraffe Wed 18-Oct-17 13:13:35

It's great! Very ambitious for a first time baker, and you'll have learned loads for the next one.

Your 2 year old will love it. My kids have always said my efforts are fab even though Pinterest would never be interested. Remember what their drawings look like, they don't look at art the same way as we do, to him it will be an edible bus, therefore brilliant.

AuntyElle Wed 18-Oct-17 13:18:32

I absolutely love it! smile

Regressionconfession Wed 18-Oct-17 13:24:34

It’s bloody amazing!!! Your toddler will love it!

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Wed 18-Oct-17 13:25:02

Be proud x

FinallyHere Wed 18-Oct-17 13:25:50

I love it, and so will the toddler.

I suspect that your biggest problem now, is setting the bar really quite high. I'm wondering how you are going to outdo yourself for next year, and every subsequent year? Enjoy the challenge, ideally teach your DC to bake themselves, too.

Girlsworld92 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:25:52

I can't judge I have accepted that I can't even make decent fairy cakes so would never be brave enough to attempt this. Be proud. X

Pringlemunchers Wed 18-Oct-17 13:30:22

It is perfect a cake made with love. OK may not win show stopper on bake off, BUT it will be the best cake you have made for your ds. Congratulations on finding time to do this. Hats off to you.

AuntLydia Wed 18-Oct-17 13:33:31

It's fab! My mum used to kill herself making us birthday cakes, they wouldn't have won a bake off showstopper either but we loved them and the memory of them still makes me all warm and fuzzy. I bet your lad will love it.

glovesonstrings Wed 18-Oct-17 13:36:51

That is one wonderful cake OP

PinkHeart5914 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:01

That’s really good OP and more so for a first attempt at baking a cake star

Your little one will love it i am sure

Apileofballyhoo Wed 18-Oct-17 13:43:25

Looks really great to me and really obvious it's a bus and a duck pond. He'll love it. Scale doesn't matter at all, it's like Lego Duplo or cartoons, scale is never right on toddler stuff. It's a brilliant cake. Well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now