Talk

Advanced search

Ikea style cinnamon buns

(16 Posts)
CarrieErbag Sat 09-Sep-17 09:47:59

I bought these on a recent visit and demolished them fairly swiftly.
I am 2 hours away from an Ikea and I need cinnamon buns now.
Please does anyone have a recipe that comes close?

badbadhusky Sat 09-Sep-17 09:50:50

There are lots of recipes for cinnamon buns. The main thing you need is time - the bun dough is basically a sweetened bread mix and needs time to prove/rise just like ordinary bread. The cream cheese version of the icing drizzle is the best. grin

tissuesosoft Sat 09-Sep-17 09:50:58

Apparently these are the same ones used in Ikea- www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Pagen-Gifflar-Cinnamon-Rolls/213968011

badbadhusky Sat 09-Sep-17 09:51:23

Apart from time/bread faff, they are very easy to make.

CatchIt Sat 09-Sep-17 09:52:55

Here you go, it's my mums recipe and she's Swedish. They do take time and they are delicious!! grin

Kanelbullar – Swedish Cinnamon Rolls
Makes about 30-40 buns

dough
2 1/8 cup (500 ml) milk
25g fresh yeast (or 2 envelopes dry active yeast)
2/3 cup (130 g) brown sugar
5 7/8 cups (840 g) flour
2 teaspoons whole cardamom seeds
½ teaspoon salt
5 ¼ oz (150 g) butter (at room temperature)

cinnamon filling
4 ½ oz (about 125 g) butter (at room temperature)
1/3 cup (65 gr) regular sugar
2 ½ teaspoon cinnamon

topping
one small egg (whipped together)
pearl sugar or sliced almonds

*Prepare the dough*: Crumble the yeast (if using dry yeast prepare it as required) in a big bowl. Heat milk until it is warm to the touch, about 100ºF (about 110ºF for dry yeast). Add the milk to the yeast and stir until yeast has dissolved.
Crush the cardamoms (if using whole, get the husk off first) in a mortar and pestle.
Mix together flour, sugar, cardamom and salt before adding it to the milk and yeast mixture. Add in the butter in small cubes. Blend well, either by hand or by using a food processor. Knead it well for about 5-10 minutes.
Cover the dough and place in a draft free place and let it rise for at least 40 minutes.
Filling: Mix all ingredients for the filling to an even batter. It is important for the butter to be at room temperature so it’s easier to spread.
Divide the dough into two pieces and using a rolling pin (or a wine bottle), roll each of them out separately to the shape of a rectangle (see diagram above).
Spread half of the filling onto each piece of rolled out dough so that it covers the entire area. Roll the dough up beginning with the long side. Slice the roll into about 20 equal sized (about 1 inch wide) slices and place them with their cut side up on baking sheet. Repeat above procedure with the last piece of dough.
Let them rise for about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg and brush all buns and sprinkle pearl sugar or sliced almonds on top.
Bake them in the oven at 225ºC (about 440F) for 8-10 minutes.

raspberrycordial Sat 09-Sep-17 09:54:02

Tissue I bought those in Tesco this week and they were blooming lovely

SvartePetter Sat 09-Sep-17 09:54:06

www.scandikitchen.co.uk/recipe-the-best-cinnamon-buns/

badbadhusky Sat 09-Sep-17 09:54:22

You could pre-prepare batches if you have a big freezer. In the US they sell those round foil trays with the proved cinnamon wheels frozen (with a sachet of icing) which can be popped in the oven for quick, freshly baked buns - a bit like those frozen raw croissants.

Justfeelsad Sat 09-Sep-17 09:54:55

I make these. Hubby is a cinnamon bun aficionado. He says they are the best.

www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/cinnamon-buns-recipe

Justfeelsad Sat 09-Sep-17 09:56:28

I don't put the sugar topping on them though, I drizzle artistically with runny icing.

badbadhusky Sat 09-Sep-17 10:00:30

Thanks CatchIt for the authentic family recipe - I am intrigued by the cardamom and will give it a whirl.

CarrieErbag Sat 09-Sep-17 10:01:11

Oh thank you so so much you lovely people.
I am very hormonal and making these today is vital to my well being.
grin

CatchIt Sun 10-Sep-17 10:22:31

How did it go? I tend to make these at Christmas. I find the Ikea ones a bit soapy, not sure why!

bloodypassword Mon 20-Nov-17 15:31:06

I'm just trying your recipe CatchIt - will let you know how they go. 😀

bloodypassword Mon 20-Nov-17 15:58:20

catchit I've made your buns. Such a great recipe. I'll add more cinnamon next tine as I like them really cinnamony. Thanks so much for sharing!

Humphreyhippo Tue 21-Nov-17 16:16:01

I was just about to post my own cinnamon bun question but there are so many experts on this thread I’ll ask it here.

I’m planning to make a large batch of these for a Macmillan fundraising event on Saturday. To avoid getting up at the crack of dawn, I was wondering if I could make them on Friday up to the stage where they’re cut and proving, then put them in the fridge to slow the prove down overnight. In the morning I could just bring them to room temp and bake.
Would this work do you think? Or would freezing work better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now