Talk

Advanced search

Quick cake question for novice

(7 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 07-Jul-17 18:26:16

I'm baking cake for my son's birthday tomorrow. It'll be a classic Victoria sandwich but covered with buttercream.
I want to bake it tonight and ice it tomorrow as I'm working in the morning so won't have time to do both with cooking time in between.

Anyway my stupid question is, how should I store the 2 cakes between them cooling tonight and when I ice them tomorrow afternoon? Fridge? Out uncovered? Or out covered. And if covered, covered with what?

Thank you!

Eminybob Fri 07-Jul-17 18:26:44

*cooling time in between

TeddyIsaHe Fri 07-Jul-17 18:29:28

Pop them in a large tupperware or airtight cake tin with greasproof between the layers to stop them sticking and they can be left out. Make sure they're completely cool before you pop them in though. Or wrap each one in cling film and leave out. Again make sure they're cool first. Hope your ds has a lovely birthday!

Eminybob Fri 07-Jul-17 18:30:46

You are brilliant, thank you!

PunnetSquare Fri 07-Jul-17 18:31:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RippleEffects Fri 07-Jul-17 18:33:26

Don't forget to get the butter out the fridge in the am so its room temp to make the icing. Its much easier to butter ice the cakes when they're slightly firm straight from the fridge so leave them in the fridge until last minute.

Eminybob Fri 07-Jul-17 18:38:20

Thank you!
Ah well I drew the line at making the icing, I've bought ready made blush. Next time I will but this is big step for me, all his previous cakes have been supermarket ones!
But thanks for the tip smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: