Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake recipe. Please help!

(8 Posts)
Moxiechick Mon 12-Jun-17 15:35:44

Hi everyone. I've decided to make a daughters much cake only I don't have enough a recipe.
I was planning on doing a Victoria sponge type cake and have bought a 12inch cake tin.
Everywhere I look online doesn't have a recipe for that size tin.
TIA

GreenTulips Mon 12-Jun-17 15:37:59

What size tin do they have?

Usually 8" I'd guess

So 4oz of flour becomes 6oz
Etc

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 12-Jun-17 15:42:27

if you want a big Victoria sandwich type cake you'll be better to make it taller rather than wider! So an eight inch tin, and make three or four to layer up

if it's a deep tin the edges are going to be dry as old bones before the middle is even half cooked

I would use a 4 egg mix for 2 x 8in sandwich tins (3egg for 7 inch or 2eggs for a 6inch)

Are you feeding lots of people or do you just really really like sponge cake?

RedSandYellowSand Mon 12-Jun-17 15:43:34

2.5 times an 8inch recipie according to this

Needs to be more than the amounts suggested by green, as cake tins go with volume, so not straight scale up.

BertrandRussell Mon 12-Jun-17 15:44:19

here

BertrandRussell Mon 12-Jun-17 15:46:19

But I agree that you'd be better going up not out. Or make 2 thinnish 12 inch ones ( watch them like a hawk ) and sandwich together.

PatriciaHolm Mon 12-Jun-17 15:52:25

If the recipe you have is for an 8 inch diameter, round tin, then the volume of your 12 inch diameter, round tin is actually more than double the volume of the 8 inch one so simply doing 1.5 times the 8 inch recipe as GreenTulips suggests will get you a very small cake!

I made an 8inch round cake at the weekend (two layers) using 4 eggs/8oz of flour, sugar, butter. For a 12 inch cake, I think you would need 10 eggs and 20 oz of everything else.

The problem with that is the cooking time - the outside will be done well before the inside. I would cook it as 2 separate layers and sandwich together rather than cooking one cake and cutting it in half.

Moxiechick Tue 13-Jun-17 14:51:21

Thank you all for your help. I think I'm going to do 2 thin layers the sandwich them together.
I'm going to do a trial this week!
Do I adjust cooking times?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now